Catalytic converters question

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
Is anybody out there running cats on their vehicles ? If so what did you use for a heat shied and how far away from the floor do the cats have to be?

Geez I have never heard of anyone willingly installing them on a vintage hot Rod. They aren’t cheap to buy and are there “before the cat” parts to be added ? Egr valve or air pump ?
Is there an emission advantage to having catalytic converters on a souped up something ? I’m all for being responsible and attempting to be environmentally friendly but I don’t know about that addition.
Having blathered all that....I was under a factory equipped vehicle last night and that installation had it about 3 inches from the floor and the usual quilted type stainless shield over the the top of the converter with maybe an inch of space there.

The units I bought are by GESI. 7525 Made in Toronto.These have a metal core instead of a ceramic core. Very sturdy units and won’t break up inside and clog. Your right about the price. Around $500 apiece. They have some U tube videos showing results of 386 horse power to the rear wheels before the cats are installed..and 406 after the cats were installed. I’m installing them to just get rid of the exhaust smells. Better for the environment and much better for me. A friend installed one on a original straight eight in a 1952 Buick Roadmaster. No more fumes and it seems just to run smoother. Nothing has to be installed before the converters. Made of stainless and should last a long time. I picked them up today and the guy gave me a small heat shield made for them.. I’m going to use what he gave me but I think I will hit the scrap yards and see if I can find a bigger one to put above ..