Canadian Rodder Back Roads Run

John in Oz

I tell you this was one very cool run and really great to catch up with some old friends and make some new friends as well. After a trip from Brisbane to L.A. and then Toronto arriving on the Wednesday night, man these long trips are just so much fun aren't they, (NOT). There was a time when I enjoyed flying but long hauls are such a drag but well worth the trip when you get to the other end. I usually don't sleep much on a plane so after nearly 26 hours without a sleep so to speak and as boring as bat shit it was nice to get off the plane in Canada and pick up our rental car, this time because there was 3 of us we rented a people mover because knowing that there would finish up being an extra suit case somewhere along the line with goodies to bring home we needed some comfort room.

This is one run I could recomend for Canadian Rodders to attend, you do get to meet some pretty great folks. I really liked the idea that Frank came up with and stayed away from the Main Highways, we got to see some beautiful country side and hardley any traffic to break th egroup up as well as us not impeding other traffic

Alison who traveled with us had never been to Canada before and she is not really a car person but she had a great time, after we reached Barrie we went with other people in their special cars and Alison enjoyed travelling with Rodger in his Olds 88 and Jan travelled with Moe and I was in several different cars, thanks to Paul for letting me drive the Mustang convert he has, I was gentle with it though and was tempted to let rip a couple of times but restrained myself. I was fortunate to also travel with Ray in a very rare Z28 1969 Camaro one of only 12 ever built with the 427 Alloy Head engine, although he has fitted later model running gear and saved the original engine and box it is a cool car, Mal has a very cool 1956 Chev Sports Coupe and I spent some time with him, he has a bloody nice ride and an interesting man to talk with, we both had something in common where I had also worked as a Maintanence fitter in a Pulp Mill as he also does and has been with his company for many years, then the was an R8 Audi, I travelled with a really nice young gentleman who was fortunate that his Dad let him use the car for the weekend, man did that thing sound great, now I would like to have set loose in that car on my own. Paul with his 37 Ford Coupe let me park it, man it was nice to get in and even though it was a short drive, I do not have power steering in my car and with his 37 it was very nice to have, that is one truely very nice ride, thanks for letting me loose on it Paul.

Since we have been home all I have done is work like there is no tomorrow and working Saturdays and Sundays and long hours, the boys all told me I went on holidays at a perfect time because things had been very quiet while I had been off, now our elections are over hopefully things will pick up in our country again although I have been flat out so I am sorry I had not had time to get this report together for you sooner. Plus the new Photobucket has taken a while to get used to, there were a lot of photos I finished up deleting which took longer to do than doing a bulk load of photos.

Anyway enough dribble for now so here come some pictures for you

I'll post the photos first and then over the next few days go back and edit with some words etc.

Last edited:
More to come when I can guys, right now I have to hit the shower and then the scratcher because I have another early morning start tomorrow, bugger me I could do with a couple of days off and a chance to clean my truck up a bit, but the trouble is in my work you never know when it is going to be there or not, so I try and make hay while I can.

Cheers for now, John

Thanks for posting these John. It was nice to finally meet you, outside during a break at the banquet. I had the dark blue Buick GS.

John,
Thanks for the pic's. I wasn't able to make the run this year as I was preparing my ride to get to Northwest Deuce Days.
Hope to see you down the road,
Phil

Sorry guys I have been busy as anything with work and just plain worn out I will post up more photos when I load them across to P/Bucket.

Clarkie, I do recall having a chat with you, mate great meeting you to.

Phil, it will be great when we do get the chance to catch up when we get the chance.

Well it is now my quiet time of the year because of the Chiness New Year etc so I have loaded more pics across so here are a few more, I'll post the pictures and then go back and edit with names etc under the photos at a later date.

It was a pretty neat sight watching cars coming and going on the long straight roads.

Paul let me drive his Mustang for a few miles, it was great to get back into one of these fun cars again, what a shame we had to put the roof up when it started to rain.

I liked his Number plate, it tells it all doesn't it.

The A & W was pretty full so some ate out around the back, there is a story to this photo so I'll let some of the others add a bit here.

I told him he was going to get his picture on here.

Terry and Gerry have a very cool car here, it was built from parts Terry found around the place, this is a bit blurred because of the rian I guess.

This was an old truck we spotted parked on the side of the road, it apeared to be well restored.

Paul and Kari just enjoy cruising in their 37 coupe and great folks to go with it. I like to get photos of cars on th emove so you can see how they really sit on the road. Check out the paint, you can even see the reflections of Rays Camaro in it.

Everyone was smiling even when we had a short bit of rain I never heard anyone complain and they were all smiles, just goes to show you how all were enjoying the cruise.

Last edited:

This was a very pretty area and the plants would have liked a bit of rain which is a good thing.

Matt does some fantastic Art work and designs the Tee Shirt logos each year, him and the family really have fun cruising in the 57 Ranch Wagon, a very nice car to.

Mats Dad Larry and his wife were there in their Merc, an interesting thing out here the Mercs all had a 1 piece head light, Larry attended his 1st rod run with Mat in the wagon for the trip up north when we were there in 2009 I think it was, so he got the big and did the merc up for some cruising fun.

Cy from A & W cruised along with us and enjoyed himself in a new Standard gear box you guys call it as opposed to an Auto (out here we just refer to it as a manual or auto) He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and a great representative for his company

More smiling faces notthat you can see for the waving hand but

There are some really neat little trick bits done on this Chevy

54 Chevs are a nice thing an dthsi one was a real nice ride for

I must say it was great riding with Ray in his 69 Z28 Camaro which was a very rare car, it was 1 of 12 ever built with a Alloy BBC, he would cruise past cars so I could get pictures and then slow down so I could get front shoots as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post all these John it sure looks like fun. But hey mate I thought you were retired? Aren't you suppose to have lots of time to do the things you want to do? Mate don't work yourself so hard life is too short!

Bash

Nice pictures John, thanks.

Terry has promised me a ride in that neat coupe next time I'm over there, I haven't forgotten.

Thanks for taking the time to post all these John it sure looks like fun. But hey mate I thought you were retired? Aren't you suppose to have lots of time to do the things you want to do? Mate don't work yourself so hard life is too short!

Bash

Nah I'm just Tired Bash, be good if I had some of my Super-an the Insurance companies lost because of the Global Financial crises while the big boy was still getting his 12 million a year, the only guys who do alright outhere are the public servents who we paid big money to when they were employed by the government and now we are still paying them in retirement with out taxes. The public still have to work and now they are saying we have to work until we are 70 ...... of course we do so the public servents can get paid who did bugger all when they were employed.