brakes still problematic

Well the little rod came in the mail today from California but I only had a couple of minutes to look at it.

I am getting ready for a concrete pour on Monday or Tuesday in my barn and seeing how it has been fairly warm my wife wants to play pickle ball in our garage - so must move vehicles around! Thats keeping me hoping.

The little rod does actually fit into the M/C pushrod but looks too long as it sticks out about an inch.

I am wondering now if I am meant to take out the short M/C side push rod sticking out and fastened to the booster? I think it comes out but has some sort of "star" washer thingy holding it in place. The little rod is grooved on one end and almost looks like it is supposed to snap or be held into something like that "star" washer.

Going to look at it tomorrow in greater detail. May have to take some pictures to show you all to see what we can come up with before I break something. It happens....

Heres hoping!!!

No its not!

The little rod from California arrived and its too long!

After reading a bit more on this I think I am going to take the original rod in to a local machine shop and have them put it on the metal lathe and turn it down a bit.

Its the right length but too thick to fit into the M/C.

This little rod and my brakes in general are kicking my butt...

I need to get my truck in to the mechanics shop for front end alignment and inspection and then back to auto body shop for wet sanding and a couple of very minor touch-ups before spring.

Geez things aren’t going well for you. At least if you get it machined then you can get it done the size that you want.

I took the old thicker rod into the local machine shop and he said he could not machine it down. It was more like he did not want to!

In any case we took a 3/8 bolt and cut it to length and them machined a little indent in the one end for the booster rod to settle into.

Played around with it a bit and think I now have enough free play so I bolted it all up.

So far I have the best pedal I have ever felt. When I start the engine the pedal does drop a fair ways when I apply the brakes but it seems to hold strong at the bottom.

I also did a garbage run to the dump yesterday and was just playing around in my Tacoma to see how far the pedal dropped after starting the engine. It seems to drop quit a ways also.

I have not even bled the brakes yet so am feeling pretty good about things so far.

This week has been busy as we poured concrete in the last part of my barn turned into shop on Tuesday. Then it turned very cold so I am busy keeping that area as warm as possible. I think we have it licked now. A neighbour friend of mine who usually is working in Calgary said he would do some concrete stamping on my "office" side and I am also trying to get the waxy release swept and vacuumed up. It looks pretty cool.

Anyway I am going to get my son who has moved back home while working through a legit Work Safe BC claim to help me bleed the brakes once more and then as soon as my new enclosed trailer makes it home its off to the mechanics shop then body shop.

Was out working on the 56 for the first time in days after being on barn building.

Fired right up as usual and just purred - actually more of a roar...

Then I put it in gear both forward and reverse and applied the brakes.

Low and behold the rear brakes stopped the wheel rotation. And to top it off the pedal stayed hard as I held it down. With someone trying to turn front tires while I am on brakes they also will not turn. So I may have my brake thingy figured out.

Now also have final coat of stain on car hauler trailer so as soon as the weather clears up again I am going to get the EZ Trac bolted down and get truck off to mechanic for front end alignment and inspection.

It will be on road this spring!!!