Bon Ami in engine ????

shaune

Supporting Member
I spend some time on the P15-D24 Plymouth forum and read where a fella had
"Problem: uses 1 qt of oil per 100 miles, blows smoke at hard acceleration.

Solution: ol' timer trick, Bon AMI houshold polishing cleanser down the carb"

Seems to have increased his compresion and fixed his smoking problem. It was a long read and he detailed each step he took, sounds interesting....anyone else have "snake oil" cures ?

Shaune,
In my apprenticeship days, I worked for a cab company in Windsor. Cabs see a LOT of idling and stop and go traffic. About every second tune-up....(a REAL tune up) we'd start by running about a pint of water through the carb at a high idle. The water turns to steam and literally blows the carbon off of the combustion chamber and backs of the valves. You could hear carbon chunks rattling through the exhast system.
Name of this process... " Jewish valve grind"
Please no discrimation comments OK. It was allowed back then.

My dad told about having to do that on some of old cars, i have never tried it but i still remember that one.

Yea Cruzr,
trans fluid will do the same thing, BUT the boss didn't like it when it filled the shop with smoke!!! Way back, my Grandfather used to sell a product called Winn's Upper lube. You poured it in with a fresh quart of oil and it was supposed to stop oil consumption, lubricate the valve stems, and generally fix any problem an engine had, much like the later day STP.

I rememeber the product, Winns also was a sponser on some drag racing rail cars during the wasn't it?
Personally every time I do an oil change I add a bottle of EOS from AC Delco (GM) supposed to do the same as STP. Other people swear by a product by LUCAS that is similar.

Cruzr,
EOS is the replacement for the zinc the oil companies have taken out of unleaded fuel. There was a number of articles about the missing zinc a year or so ago. EOS is actually a break-in product and should be add prior to first start up and cam break in, along with some diesel engine oil. But, only if you want to keep your new cam for a couple of years

I have heard of the water, to get the carbon out.

SEAFOAM, is another, Thats if you want to smoke the neighbours out. :D

Same idea, pour it down the carb while your buddy idles @2000rpm. Shut off the engine for 5mins then starter up and wait till it stops smokin.

Bon Ami ,Ring job in a can

:)A buddy of mine started in the Trade at Kanes Truck Garage .They had an old55 Dodge pickup with a flat head 6,when this old truck could hardly make it up the Hamilton mountain. One of the Oldtimers in the garage did this to the truck! He called it ring job in a can .
Bon Ami powder shaken into 1/2 throtled carb for 1-2 minutes .He said it was a quick way to deglaze the cylinders ,and lap in the valves.
It sure sounds crazy but in worked like a charm .:D
John

We used to refer to this as "dusting" an engine. Did a simular trick to brakes on transit buses. It's really hard on an engine. The old "upper cylinder" oilers were put out by Wynns and I remember some from Marvel, the Mystery oil maker. There were even water injectors that supposedly increased power, denser mixture. Some aircraft engines used a water methanol mixture.
Clarke

Another one is with each oil change put in one less can of oil and instead drop in a can of tranny fluid. I have done this with no ill effects and when i pulled the pan off that engine it was as clean as a new one. No sludge, the whole bottom end was clean. The pan came off because it was leaking from before i bought it.

how about screwing a conecting rod out in the middle of nowhere had enough tools to tear down take that rod and piston out stuff a peice of tree in the hole put it together to get home heard of that one heh my grand dad tol me that one

Stov,
one of the Model A's we dragged home a long while ago ran like crap...a dead miss, plug was getting spark, took it out and it looked ok, did a compression test, Notta, nothing, 0. Pulled the head to check the valves. They were in great shape but there was a log shaved to fit fairly tight in the cylinder. Probably to stop oil from migrating to the other cylinders and being burnt.

I have heard of the water, to get the carbon out.

SEAFOAM, is another, Thats if you want to smoke the neighbours out. :D

Same idea, pour it down the carb while your buddy idles @2000rpm. Shut off the engine for 5mins then starter up and wait till it stops smokin.

We sell this product at this store.Pretty good stuff.