Barn Find

Yes i was around then and still going strong ,Jack I believe worked in the Body shop and also fixed radiators.At the time I was building a 28 Ford pickup with SB Chev and he re soldered the rad for it.I saw the car run at Mission many times,they used to trailer it all over ,always on the Fri. ferry to Van.I remember the garage that you speak of as Speed and Stan's though.Powell river was a wild town back then,as many just out of H.S. worked in the Mill and had the bucks to buy new muscle cars which got raced out at the quarter mile that was then Stillwater on the highway.

you're right about the body shop and Jack still runs the Rad shop. my Pops had the Esso station right by Max Cameron High School, then sold it to Felix Massullo who changed the name to Villa Esso, Speed went on to run Speed and Stan's. and the 1/4 mile was at Roberts Rd then Eagle River Bridge was the place to race for sure....

would you have any photos from those days?? Jack only has one single photo of the car from then, it would be cool to find some for him.....

Hey 59 Imp
I have a huge San Cobble/Van Isle photo and movie collection. If the restoration team is interested I'll have a look.

Hey 59 Imp
I have a huge San Cobble/Van Isle photo and movie collection. If the restoration team is interested I'll have a look.

oh man i know Jack would love to have some photos. he really only has one single pic of it... keep me posted

thakns a bunch.....mo

I've found a great photo of the car launching at Van Isle in 1971. At the time, it was running in G/SA class.

I'll try to figure out a way to scan and post the photo here but whatever the case, you guys can have the photo, its in excellent shape.

What's the best way to contact you?

Rick

Any old pics of Casper,55 Chevy wagon?? Al McGillvary was the driver. I would luv some of the car!!!! Frank

Ric,the link you had set up for the Van Ile reunion was great for pictures.You even had one of my old altered.Is there some way you could do that again?

Maybe Rick you could start a thread on those tracks that's would be awesome to see your collection of pics!!! Just don't want this cool barn find story to get off track. Thanks guys!

I've found a great photo of the car launching at Van Isle in 1971. At the time, it was running in G/SA class.

I'll try to figure out a way to scan and post the photo here but whatever the case, you guys can have the photo, its in excellent shape.

What's the best way to contact you?

Rick

mozhome@yahoo.com email me and i will send you my contact info, i'm having luch with jack today but i won't say anything about the pic, i'll surprise him when i get it.

thanks a bunch this is awesome!!!

Mo and Steve, I have photos for you.

In regards to the other requests, unfortunately, it seems that this site will only allow photo uploads from sites like Photobucket and Flicker. Sorry, but I have no intention of joining photo storage sites and spending my time scanning old photos to upload here. If someone can give me a simple way of posting photos, I'll gladly do so.

Here's a question for you other Van Isle historians. Norm Porter (from Victoria)built two very well known cars. The first was a full custom candy apple red 50 Ford convertible. Ronny Lim bought it and apparently it was in an accident in Port Alberni. When we were working on the reunion, we spoke to Ronny and a couple of others and tracked the car to a garage somewhere north of Campbell River. We felt we got close to finding it for the Reunion but never got close enough. Does anyone know if the car still exists?

Some of you may remember the black small block powered Chev that Norm built in the 60's. That car has been off the road for about 40 years and still exists in its original form, including the metalflake upholstery.

Rick

some small progress today. we removed the front drag springs and shocks and replaced them with originals, as well we got the spindles in and all the front disc brakes installed. next week we will remove the C-6 and have it gone through and refreshed, as well the rear pumpkin will be pulled to remove the 5:13 gears and install the stock 3:50's
we still have to figure out the power steering setup and source out the right power brake booster and the exhausr system. after that things will slow down as we deal with the engine bay and the replacement engine. we need to be extra careful to get the bits right and installed correctly. this is not a full concours restoation and we are not professionals. we are very aware of how special this car is and we are trying to move forward with out disturbing the original integrity of the car. so far its been fun to hang around with Jack and there has been a lot of joking around and some cursing too. all in all a good day.......

i forgot the camera but brakes are pretty boring anyway

Mo and Steve, I have photos for you.

In regards to the other requests, unfortunately, it seems that this site will only allow photo uploads from sites like Photobucket and Flicker. Sorry, but I have no intention of joining photo storage sites and spending my time scanning old photos to upload here. If someone can give me a simple way of posting photos, I'll gladly do so.

The only thing I could suggest would be to upload the photos to a hosting site and posting a link to the gallery (rather than making a post on the site with the image tags, where the photo displays in the post). That way you can do a "batch" upload to the photo site and skip any further steps. That's not without it's frustrations, unfortunately, as you'd still need to devote time to cataloging and uploading the images.

Obviously this would still require scanning all of the images if you just have the prints and/or negatives. However, it is possible to find a scanning service to do it for you. Some of the major photography chains charge a flat rate for scanning a large batch of photos and providing a disc of digital files. A smaller independent store might offer a similar service as well. One bonus of taking that route would be having a digital backup of all your photos.

No matter what there's going to be a financial and/or time cost involved, so it's ultimately up to you. I realize my suggestion isn't exactly simple, but hope it helps. :)

Also Rick I know a lot of people on this forum would love it a lot to see your collection of old track photos!! I sure know I would , it would be awesome. If I lived near you heck I would scan them all for you and post them !!'

Kevin

hey Ric i got the photo, thanks so much, i had a copy enlarged and dated with Jacks name on it, i will give it to him on the weekend.....

We got it running and Jack got his last drive! Now I got to figger out how to post photos again ☹️

Wow. One great story out of the vaults. Thanks for the post and the photo links.

A friend of my brothers in high school had a maroon cougar with black vinyl roof and side pipes. Always loved that car. The pipes were a natural fit for that body and really made the car IMO.