Banjo Wheel tech

Jethro

Supporting Member
Bgbkwndow reminded me that I haven't posted about the Banjo wheel I made. I did a tech piece on another board and totally forgot to put it on here(my bad)

I said I would do a tech piece on how I made that 4 spoke banjo wheel. I made a three spoke this time but the method is the same. You could use the same technique if you wanted to "regrip" an old wheel that is all cracked or has no grip left.

First I started with a piece of MDF 2' X 4' and marked a line to split it in half.....
P3150001.jpg

Next I cut the pieces and stacked them on top of each other and marked a center point and four bolt down holes and one register hole (to make sure the halves go back to the same place.)
P3150002.jpg

Then I marked the two halves with arrows so I really get them oriented properly.
P3150003.jpg

Next drill out the holes...!/4 for the center hole and 3/8 for the others
P3150004.jpg

The next step I did was use a holesaw to make the center bigger so I can put the halves on my rotary table on my milling machine but if you only had a router you could use a circle attachment to do the same job.
P3150005.jpg

Because I want the grip to be 1 inch I bought a 1 inch round router bit and chucked it in my mill
P3150006.jpg

P3150007.jpg

I set the bit 7-1/2 inches from the center of the rotary table and that gives me 16 inches to the outside diameter on the wheel
P3150008.jpg

I set the depth at 1/2 inch and started turning the table
P3150009.jpg

Once I made a full circle I went over it a couple times to work out the machine marks then I set the depth stop 1/8 inch lower and started to make the nibs. My rotary table is 90:1 turns /rev so I made a cut every 2 turns of the handle ...works out to 45 nibs.
P3150010.jpg

P3150011.jpg

It really helps to have an "easy button " on your machine I can use it on all my machines since I put a magnet on the back
P3150012.jpg

The other half of the mould is just a groove without the nibs, same procedure so now we have two halves
P3150013.jpg

So , here's where I make the wheel part. I machined a hub ( to fit on a three bolt Grant adapter) and cut the spokes...
P3160014.jpg

Assembled the spokes and welded them
P3160015.jpg

I had a friend with roller , roll me a 1/2 mild steel rim and I welded it to the right diameterThen I welded the spokes and rim together
P3170017.jpg

Next step is to prep the mould. I sanded the inside progressivly up to 320 then applied Minwax paste wax to the inside as a release agent.
P3160016.jpg

The scary part comes now....I mixed up about a quart of short strand fiberglass filler . I added some fiberglass resin to help it flow a bit better and I also mixed in some black fiberglass resin pigment. Make sure you mix up enough,,,,maybe even mix a little too much. I didn't mix quite enough and had a couple small voids. Not a huge deal but it would have been nicer to not have to fix the pits. Anyway take your mixed GOOP and fill both halves of the mould. Once they are full , set the rim in place and then mate both halves of the mould and bolt and clamp it together
P3170018.jpg

After the GOOP hardens you can carefully seperate the halves and you should have a steering wheel. Mine is not finished at this point. I still have to fill the voids and sand , prime and paint the wheel but you get the picture I hope.
P3170019.jpg

P3170020.jpg

Now I'm sure that there are guys who know alot more about resins and casting and such and I hope they chime in with comments. I don't know how this filler will stand up to hot/cold cycles but in total it cost about 50 bucks for all the materials . I checked the Summit racing catalogue and banjo wheels in there are in the $300 + range so you do the math....anyway, it was a fun project!.....don't forget your "EASY" button

Thanks a lot for posting this, Jeff. An interesting approach to a job that always seemed out of reach to most of us.

Bgbkwndo.

Now I'm sure that there are guys who know alot more about resins and casting and such and I hope they chime in with comments. I don't know how this filler will stand up to hot/cold cycles but in total it cost about 50 bucks for all the materials . I checked the Summit racing catalogue and banjo wheels in there are in the $300 + range so you do the math....anyway, it was a fun project!.....don't forget your "EASY" button

I think that it would be that bridgeport machine that will be the toughie getting past the wife:eek:

Russ

Very ingenious Jethro, still a pile of work, and nicely done I'll add. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Bash

Thanks for posting Jeff, just to freakin nice, I might add.

Carl

...a man after my own heart....you obviously love problem solving too (with design ideas, work, raw materials, and rejecting store-bought solutions)...great stuff

...Labor intensive, but at the end of the day you can take pride in having done it youself. Nice job. Stan. ....

Thanks guys!
I have had this swirling around in my head for a while....Just had to take a chance and try it. Now I have a bunch of styles I want to try.....Might have to wait until next winter now. I gotta get at the yardwork now that the snow is gone.

Great demo! That was very impressive. Thanks for the lesson. It gives a guy ideas... what else could we make using that same technique??