Axel

tiquer

Just a quick dum question Will the stock front wishbone from a model A fit an aftermarket 4" dropped axel:confused:

Brad, there are two different boss widths to watch for. I have slept since I last measured the ones in my shop, but you have yours. If you have the axel still (hahaha, of course you do), measure from the top boss to the lower boss (the boss of the orginal wishbone mounting location)....I think this should be 2", .......the 'other' size available is 2-1/4"
I tried Hortons web site, lots of neat stuff, I couldn't find specs. Pete and Jake web site has all the numbers you may ever want.
If that was unclear, call me.
Greg.

Thanks greg for the info, but I was unsure if the distance between thye spring perchs was the same on the repop axel. I should have been more clear when I posted sorry:eek:

Measure your conie axle, spring perch hole to spring perch hole and I'll measure the two store-bought drop axles out in my shop.

You make me nervous when you talk hotrod, I don't mind sayin'.

No problem; I thought that you would have already known that:) Check into Pete & Jakes site for lotsa numbers.
I will be home tomorrow night, I could measure it for you (I have a bell 4" drop on the A-rails).
Greg.

Messuring at the top of the axel it is 36 3/16" from center to center of the spring perch bosses:). Thanks Tinn

That aftermarket axle is probably a 2.25" boss. Is the axle 46 or 48" wide? Stock A axle is 48", aftermarket narrowed one is 46 to help with tire clearance on a hot rod with fenders. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks John but i`m not worried about the tire clearance . I want to run the front wish bone stock unsplit and need to know if the dropped axel is the same distance between the spring perches:cool:

Brad, my Magnum 4" dropped is 36 3/16" spring perch center to spring perch center. So it looks like it's a fit to a stock 'bone, except that it's a 2 1/4" spring perch boss. The Super Bell I have here is an oddball, with very upright drop portions. The center to center measurement on it is 38 3/8". To use it on anything, I have to source out a wider transverse spring and forget about using stock Ford steering arms.
Another option, is that I am almost finished building a heavy duty jig for dropping my own axles. We could take a conie A axle and drop it a little or a lot. Gather up all your conie axles and we'll have ourselves a "drop 'til ya drop" festival. I have several to do as well.

Hey tinn now your talking the original dropped would be more ERA close anyway, let me know when you can do it and I`ll find one that is not Warren out in the king pin boss to bad Have a couple sets of 42-47 spindels .:cool:

Just a quick dum question Will the stock front wishbone from a model A fit an aftermarket 4" dropped axel:confused:

like others have said, it depends on the width of the axle boss. However, check to see if your aftermarket axle is cast or forged. If it is cast (or tube), then don't use a wishbone - use a four bar. The wishbone (even if split) will allow the cast axle to twist too much, and it would eventually break. That problem will not exist if you have a forged axle, just like the original axles were made. A four bar set-up eliminates the twist that an axle naturally wants to do during suspension travel, and so the cast axle will not break.

Thanks 34 I understand the twisting action but I plan to run the stock unsplit wishbone and the axel cast tube or forged will not twist.:cool:

uh,....... bradley..... did you know that 34SS was a 'pacer' in another life?? maybe you guys should talk...............

Thanks for the heads up there Davey but I think I might just let the other party chew on it awhile longer before stepping in any deeper. Don`t want to step on any toes just yet:cool:

Brad, I measured my Super bell (4" drop), and it measures the same as ?Tinns Magnum......hope you have what you need.
Greg.