April 17, 1964

Some will argue the Barracuda was first, but in reality the Mustang was a whole new car from the ground up.

Some will argue the Barracuda was first, but in reality the Mustang was a whole new car from the ground up.
Yes by two weeks however, it was just a revamp Valiant and didn't really become a pony car until 1970

As for being a whole new car from the ground up, nope, was a FALCON underneath until 1967.

I’d say 1967 for the Barracuda being a pony car. They are similar but not identical. None of the floor pans, frame rails, trunk floor, cowl, firewall will interchange with each other, the Falcon is 1” wider than the first gen Mustang.The steering ,front suspension, brakes are the same.

Contrary to what others have lead you to believe about me and as much as I’m a Chevy fan I believe that the mustang was to the car world as the Beatles were to music of the time. Car was very popular and brought the sporty style of car to the forefront….was one of the front runners for sure. …lol..pretty deep eh Al…

A big part of the appeal for the Mustang was the price, under $2500 for a basic hardtop. No wonder Ford sold a million in first couple years. A photo of mine in around 1976. First car I ever owned.

Q37hI4M.jpg

I agree, timing, styling, price all came together at the same time. I was a little young to remember all of what Ford did in the promotion department, but I believe they hit that pretty hard. Here was my first attempt with a Mustang, bought it in 1971 for $200 (no motor, needed paint). Picture was from around 76 as it has tires off my Super Stock, slicks were way too big and I'm sure slowed that Mustang down.
First Mustang.jpg

"I believe that the mustang was to the car world as the Beatles were to music of the time."
Nah, the Shadows with Keith Richards or for rodders Beach Boys.

Last edited: