9" ford 3rd member

al37ford

Supporting Member
I have a 9" rear in my '56 wagon that was narrowed & really built for a high HP drag racer. I can't stand the detroit locker any more so I bought a 31 spline 3:70 posi. I didn't realize that the hi Hp race cars may use 33 or 35 spline. Is there any way to tell w/o pulling an axle ? The rear wheels & tires are WAY too big for me to handle so I want to be sure the one in there is 31 spline .

The count is the only way I know, is there any way to trace ownership, builder. There may be something on the axle flange but even that,, pull the rubber.
But, if it was built for high horse drag racing more splines is better.
Fred

Fred is correct the only way to tell is pull the axles. Even if they may have a aftermarket marking they typically made multiple types and splines for different purposes. Most racers go with more splines are better but in my Mustang are Henry's axles and spool which is 13 splines, BIG ones, was just a different way back in the day.
Bob

Yeh guess pulling the axles is the only way. I have to farm it out again as I'm in no shape to do it, even with the old shovel, leverage trick. The tires & wheels are wider & heavier than a steam roller!

Yeh guess pulling the axles is the only way. I have to farm it out again as I'm in no shape to do it, even with the old shovel, leverage trick. The tires & wheels are wider & heavier than a steam roller!
Thanks for the shovel trick idea, I've been sitting on the floor and swearing! LoL
Oh,, "wider than a steam roller",, are there pics of this vehicle? Sounds like something I'd like to 👀
Fred

Thanks for the shovel trick idea, I've been sitting on the floor and swearing! LoL
Oh,, "wider than a steam roller",, are there pics of this vehicle? Sounds like something I'd like to 👀
Fred
Here you go , no flash tho!
Here you go:
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

Yep, those are wide ... and heavy. Too heavy for this broken down old man to lift. :rolleyes:

Yeh Ray, I should have walked away as I bought not seeing live. Too much to do for a guy in late '70's BUT I will get it done!!

Man and I spent today behind a plate tamper setting a new load of road crush gravel on my drive,, couldda called you! Lol, those look awesome!

Last edited:
Mr. al37ford: Thanks for the pictures, couldn't tell from your avatar on what was under back there. Very nice, can't replace that look with anything else but downside is where you are at with pulling it apart. Sounds like you know for sure it's a locker back there, good news is I do not believe anyone made an aftermarket side gear for it, so in other words pretty sure you have 31 spline axles. Makes sense that they are aftermarket but 31 spline to work with the locker. Bottom line is you still need to pull them to be sure but looks like your good for the traction lock. Just a word of advice make sure to use the 'friction modifier' aka sperm whale oil and hopefully the clutch pack is set up properly. I put new clutches in mine and didn't get the shims correct and made noise when cornering although way less than a locker. Good luck with your swap.
Bob

Mr. al37ford: Thanks for the pictures, couldn't tell from your avatar on what was under back there. Very nice, can't replace that look with anything else but downside is where you are at with pulling it apart. Sounds like you know for sure it's a locker back there, good news is I do not believe anyone made an aftermarket side gear for it, so in other words pretty sure you have 31 spline axles. Makes sense that they are aftermarket but 31 spline to work with the locker. Bottom line is you still need to pull them to be sure but looks like your good for the traction lock. Just a word of advice make sure to use the 'friction modifier' aka sperm whale oil and hopefully the clutch pack is set up properly. I put new clutches in mine and didn't get the shims correct and made noise when cornering although way less than a locker. Good luck with your swap.
Bob
Thanks for the input but seaching all through Eaton & several more sites it seems they did make them for a 35" as well
"The Ford 9" Detroit Locker

This is a strong, very common locker option.
Note that this locker DOES come in a 28 spline version.
But frankly, if you're going to drop the coin on this thing, you should also be upgrading to at least 31 spline axle shafts. The 28 and 31 spline lockers cost about the same and 31 spline shafts will give you a significant strength upgrade.
This locker comes in these configurations:

OK, as I said in another post, I learn stuff everyday! When you said the RE was built for a 'high HP drag racer' I was assuming he used aftermarket axles. I do know some manufacturers were making hardened axles in the Ford 31 spline. Do you know did the RE ever have a spool? High HP guys usually would go to a spool at that point although I did run mid 11's with a 3400 lb Mustang with stock 31 spline axles and a Detroit locker so they will handle some power. Sounds like you are not going to know until you pull it apart. Do you know if the side gears in other splines are available for the Traction Lock? Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck, please let us know what you end up finding.

OK, as I said in another post, I learn stuff everyday! When you said the RE was built for a 'high HP drag racer' I was assuming he used aftermarket axles. I do know some manufacturers were making hardened axles in the Ford 31 spline. Do you know did the RE ever have a spool? High HP guys usually would go to a spool at that point although I did run mid 11's with a 3400 lb Mustang with stock 31 spline axles and a Detroit locker so they will handle some power. Sounds like you are not going to know until you pull it apart. Do you know if the side gears in other splines are available for the Traction Lock? Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck, please let us know what you end up finding.
Learn stuff every day!!! Sounds like my never ending drill! Thx for the input again & keep it coming!