4.6 Ford motor

al37ford

Supporting Member
Moving this so as not to hijack a chrome thread. I inherited a 4.6 Ford mod motor which I was told is a 2006 GT but I've tried to find ID markings to no avail. How to ID??

Al, I don't know and too lazy to look it up.

But you are WRONG about geting one, ...... you now have TWO.

I bought a Linclon Mark VIII (8) with a 4.6 for the seats, .....it was a driver with a running engine and trans, still in the car.

Yours for free ! Take the whole car if you like, it has B.C registraion.

Hi Ray

was going to try and PM you on this site, thought you might want to see that 37 seat I got from you

Ident of a Ford Modular?

If it's the one in your newly purchased wagon, the ad claims it's from a 2006 Cobra, however the last Mustang Cobra's were 2004 and they were supercharged. The 2006 Mustang GT used the 3 valve engine and yours is a 4 valve, so not that either. It could be a '03-04 Mach I or Lincoln MK VIII. Newer Mustangs and Shelbys went to a 5.0L version. You should be able to easily measure the stroke as the spark plug hole is in the center of the cylinder, so with that you can confirm the displacement as the 5.0L had a longer stroke.

Ok, if all else fails I'll try that when I get home. It's an oddball to view as the only similar valve covers with a small oval cap in the center look exactly like the supercharged 2004 but this one has no blower! Maybe they retro'ed FI from another!! I should stick to what I know but a mod/aod looked good at the time! Glad I didn't pay near the ask $$.

Last edited:
Some but not all 4.6's had a VIN # stamped on them. drivers side on the oil pan rail.

Happy hunting!

Thanks, another place to try! I googled many sites & found that most had removable tags & black ink markings ...wondering why not clearly ID? :confused:

Another way you may be able to ID it would be the engines front dress, dipstick placement, oil pan, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds. You would have to compare part # between Mustang, f-series , Crown vic, etc....

Haven't had the car home YET! 11 months at the body/paint shop. Double the quote & climbing so it's coming home. What's done is very good but come on! However, he let the battery run down to 2v so recharged & still will not turn over. Dash lights come on but the solenoid doesn't click . He cut the wires to the tach & one had feed from the pc but rehooked up & no go. I'm not car computer wise so does it need a reboot? Are the day running lights hooked into a sensor to negate starting? Light wires are also cut & unplugged. :confused: I only had this about a week b4 it went to an Errington shop so its like I'll be starting from scratch as I can't get under it in the body shop.

Last edited: