1950 Mercury custom build

About 80% there. Taking quite a while as I am having to planish left handed so it is sloooow.
20230127_172139.jpg

I tip my hat to you. A daunting restoration to get the body repaired and shaped. Teaching your "other" hand new skills at the same time. When the car is completed, the uninitiated will admire the finished product with no clue of the mega hours to get it there. Fantastic work. Thanks for posting your progress.

Thanks for all the kind words guys much appreciated. I never know how far into the minutiae I should go and there is a lot on this build. :rolleyes:

I finished welding and did a little more planishing on the lower section but am probably going to need to rook my son into helping me finish the planishing so for the time being I moved on to the top and another picture of essentially the same thing is kinda redundant. I need to fill in the gap for the rounded doors and sort out the door gap along the top. I decided to tackle the corner first.

I started by making a simple hammer form to make the sheet metal curved part.
20230128_151049.jpg

20230128_151247.jpg

20230128_151701.jpg

A little English wheel work to get it close to a good shape. Then I needed to fix the top of the door to match the sheet metal piece. That part of the door frame had come with the corner "rounded" (poorly like everything else) so I fixed that by welding to the top edge of the door until it was a match.
20230128_162448.jpg

And here it is roughly in place. So now I need to figure out what to do with the door gap above the door. I am leaning towards doing the same thing as I did on the side but not sure yet. The drip rails hid a lot so removing them adds work to make things look half decent.
20230128_161814.jpg

I might have said this before, but watching you tackling this mighty project makes me motivated to try some metal shaping I thought I couldn't do and learnt that with patience and lots of scrap on the floor anything is doable .
thank you , keep up the great work!

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately. I have been working on metal finishing some spots which isn't really very exciting to show. I also molded in the belt line that runs from b-pillar back to the trunk. I wanted it to match the door top I had made and also another nod to the Bettancourt Merc that had all its seems molded in. Took a bit longer than I wanted due to the fact I had to wait for warm enough days to open the garage as there was paint and some sort of seam sealer behind the seam that I couldn't fully remove so need to vent out the garage while I welded it. Also required a respirator.

If you look at the picture above you can see what it was like where the top met the body.
Here is the front half done.

20230304_143224.jpg

And then all of it.

20230311_152728.jpg

20230321_095742.jpg

That butcher job that was done previously to fill in the rear door haunts me every time I look at it. I may need to fix it just not sure how to go about it.

Great work here! You've nailed the roof line 100%. I really appreciate all you've done, especially when you go back and look at where you started. Thanks for sharing your experience.