1949-50 Chev coupe build.

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
This is going to be a long thread. Started to acquire parts for my next project. Was on kijiji last week and I found a pair of fender skirts.. I know it’s not much ..but it’s a start. Well today they came on the mail from Nova Scotia. The one skirt was great ..no rust and a ton of tar undercoating. Very good metal under the tar . The other skirt was not so good. Turns out the mechanism and it’s mounts are bent or rusted. The skirt has had 2 poorly done previous fixes. Never had any rust coating so the back side has very deep rust pits all over it. I don‘t have the talent to save it and I really don’t think it’s worth the effort ..but like I said...its a start.eh.
ABB33529-CA12-4373-8535-D228AB09D2AD.jpeg
DF50E6BC-B640-437D-9EC2-5596770CE700.jpeg
7D6C13C2-1EBA-434A-BB2E-C39D0E24CCD0.jpeg
A137CFA5-4BE2-48B2-A324-8A01CEBBC3C7.jpeg

I have an incling to make, or attempt to make, some skirts. Read through a thread on HAMB a while back and watching lots of Fitzee’s Fabrication. Not sure how the levers, linkage attaches yet but....more reading.

Be careful about the skirts, they can be model specific between styleline and deluxe styleline models.
Slight changes in the wheel well openings.

Depending on the style, There are aslo tabs that are needed on the wheel well openings, they are hard to find but easily made.

Be careful about the skirts, they can be model specific between styleline and deluxe styleline models.
Slight changes in the wheel well openings.

Depending on the style, There are aslo tabs that are needed on the wheel well openings, they are hard to find but easily made.
Yeah i was wondering about that. The guy I bought these from said he had them on his coupe years ago. He sold the car years ago and now he’s getting rid of stuff. From what I can find out the 49 and 50 are all the same. However some had a pin on the end and some had a hook shape one the end. The 51 and 52 are a different shape the the other 2 years but some of the 51 and 52 cars used the 49 to 50 back fender design. i think it was the wagon and sedan delivery. Now that you have said that I’m going to have to try and dig some more...Anyways I cleaned all of the tar crap off of the back of the good skirt. I tried the wire wheel to get the original paint and primer off of the back side. I went through a wire wheel and only some of the paint came off..the black primer under the paint must be bullet proof . I decided if I have to work that hard and not get it off and it’s still doing it’s job ..I’m going to leave it and I put on 2 coats of this thick rust paint that I got from somewhere. This car is going to be just a clean driver. Hub caps no mags. Painted motor ..no chrome. Lowered but no air bags..don’t know what colour to be painted but it will have a flat clear coat...maybe a few flames eh..skinny tires..no wide low profile...and I would really really like to chop it....by myself...that’s the part that scares the poop out of me...I should probably do the chop first in case I screw it up so bad that the car is scarp...and then I won’t need any of the other thing..anyways..I’m not going anywhere to get parts until I get my second covid shot...so I guess im starting at the bottom with these skirts for now...

I do like your plan for the car Johnny. I too want to chop mine. In anticipation I had bought a $500 '41 coupe that I salvaged the roof (cut off below the belt line) and the door tops so I can avoid two splices at the top of the door and have extra curved metal to fill in the rear areas.

I also picked up a pair of overlapping accessory skirts from Fergie that show how they attach. Different from your fitted skirts, but give some ideas. Fortunately these must be NOS as they are clean inside.

Spqz0LFh.jpg

a4Sdv6kh.jpg

o17M5Cuh.jpg

IToNOU5h.jpg

i7HKix7h.jpg

I like the lip on those skirts.. mime are just plain. When you start chopping take lots of pics...that way I will know how much trouble I will be in..

Forum Member Bob Hunter, a.k.a. Hunter ,chopped a 4-door 49/50 chevy, might give you some insight as to what he did.
The thread has quite a few Parts to it. However, some of the photos may have disappeared tue to the Photobucket grandiose scheme to charge.
Give it a read:

A Little Off The Top---Please

Thanks for the link...those fleet lines are even harder to chop...you have to chop the trunk also...way above my pay grade. I did notice his skirts on the wall have a hook on each end where I have a pin on one end and a hook on the other....more research needed....he also has a large threaded rod that runs up from where the coil spring is in the front suspension....never seen that one before...something else I’m going to have to address...never ends..ha.

Since nobody will ever see the back of the skirts Im thinking of spraying on some of that rock guard stuff.. Anyone ever use that stuff? This would just be the rattle can stuff...

Yes, on the 56 F100, I did that on the inside of the front/rear fenders and underneath the running boards to prevent stone stars.

Well had a set back in my parts for my future build..turns out the skirts I got are for a 51-52 chev...emailed the guy I bought them from that said they fit from a 1949-50..seems like his internet has gone dark...no response....oh well have one good wall hanger and a not so good sitting on the shelf...so I’m 0 for 2 on my purchases....damn...

Well had a set back in my parts for my future build..turns out the skirts I got are for a 51-52 chev...emailed the guy I bought them from that said they fit from a 1949-50..seems like his internet has gone dark...no response....oh well have one good wall hanger and a not so good sitting on the shelf...so I’m 0 for 2 on my purchases....damn...
Are you sure they don't fit? I thought the wheel arch was the same from '49 to '52.

My buddy from Kelowna just picked up this nugget yesterday. It's basically a '49 Chev coupe but with Olds trim and chassis. A real milestone car, the first with an overhead V8. Flatheads had it rough after this. The first Rocket 88.

Last edited:
Yeah they don’t fit. 49 & 50 are tapered...51-2 are straight ..slight difference,,...but enough that it won’t fit...seen that olds...like it a lot...