1948 Chev coupe "Mabel"

Thanks for the photo essay John. Lots of thinking and fabricating.

Thanis for the update, been wondering how it has been progressing.
I think your being conservative on the power estimate,,,

I think your being conservative on the power estimate,,,
When you go with turbos or blowers, it seems that you can make whatever power you want depending on how much boost you dare to use. Of course at some point you find the limit of your turbo's capacity or other limitations of the engine, but it seems you can boost until it goes KABOOM! So I'll vote conservative.
I've got a Microsquirt to control the engine and it has 2 step launch control and Flat Shift (NLS) and I've also got line lock for the front brakes. So it could be interesting playing with that.

Johnny B's concerned with all the Ford parts on this project. I understand, Henry was not always good to his people. But I'm not really loyal to one brand. It appears that the engineers at all the outfits occasionally get away with one for a little while before the ink maggots rein them in. Hence the all aluminum Crown Vic front suspension and the cheap T-Bird IRS. So far no Mopar parts on this one, I'll see if that changes. After all I should give Chrysler a nod as I discovered that Walter is my 5th cousin twice removed. Our many times great grand father came from Germany in the 1700s and settled in Rhinebeck, New York. My great grandmother is Alzina Chrysler, so I always wondered if there was a family connection to Walter. The Mormons say there is.

Well,, that would explain alot! Lol
I think Walter was famous for taking other brand products apart just to see what made them tick,,, no?

Found this on flea bay…like the headlight treatment…
1660A5C6-FF01-411B-92B6-36C59B244253.jpeg

The correct political way of asking is:
tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
Okay, okay, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ........................................................................................................................................................................

If I was going any slower here I'd be going backwards. Piecing the trunk back together with the floor raised 3". I cut a hole in the floor for access to the fuel pump.

rqs1U1l.jpg

VU09xUQ.jpg

There's a body mounting point on top of the frame hump to deal with. And scratching my head on how to fill in the gaps at the wheel tubs etc. Also I want the gas filler cap under the trunk lid. At first I thought the battery would be in the trunk, but on second thought I might put it on the floor ahead of the back seat and make it look like a console with cup holders? Hmmm?

Progress is looking great. I wouldn’t over think the areas you have to fill in around the wheel wells. It’s going to be seldom seen. Plate it up and run some carpet over it ..I spent several weeks figuring out plans for the backer board when I did my trunk. I finally just cut something to fit and covered it with upholstery or carpet. carry on.

As I Iook inside your trunk, it pops into my head that maybe some squarebody rear wheel houses would be a good starting point to cover that up.

Again, not much.
Here's the fill in to the trunk floor to the frame hump. The 2" hole is to access the air line into the top of the air bag. Have plugs for the holes.
YcX3QKs.jpg

Moved the fuel fill to inside the trunk and plugged the fender hole.
RrwV7gQ.jpg

hhKeTxk.jpg

Just a mock-up of the Buick headlights.
5eAZtdH.jpg

Looking good..love those Buick lights..everything needs a little Buick in it…lol..thanks for sharing..