1947 Chevy Coupe

Vmpgrl

Thanks for the add!

My name is Paula and I’m from Airdrie, Alberta. Here is my story.

My father had bought the 1947 Chevy Coupe from his uncle in Manitoba and brought it back to Calgary to hot rod. He tore it apart and did a bit of trade work on it here and there. (He was a custom auto upholsterer at that point).
Ever since I can remember, I saw this beautiful car sitting in pieces for over 40 years.
My father changed occupations to long distance owner operator truck driving and had no time to work on it until retirement. Unfortunately one month before retirement, he suddenly passed away on the road from a massive heart attack.

During the time he was on the road, my dad had the car stored at a farm outside Crossfield. When my parents moved, the owner of the property couldn’t contact my parents to inform them that the person who rented the property had passed away and they were holding an auction for all vehicles on the property. Needles to say, the car was auctioned off to an unknown buyer. It was lost for 10 years!

After my father passed away, I wanted this car back so I could finish it in his memory. I had all of the parts in my parents garage. I just didn’t have the body and chassis. I put out a searching for ad and knew it was a long shot. However, there were a few custom features I knew my dad did to it but didn’t have any pictures of it. Cut outs on the sides of the hood, and tinted bing cherry etched side windows.

Low and behold, someone tagged someone else thinking they may have it. Turns out, it WAS the car and it was for sale!! It was also not far from me! It was in Balzac!

I am now in possession of my dad’s car and now it’s currently in the shop in Tomahawk. Right now It’s getting the suspension done on it.

This is the only piece I have of my dad left, and I will beg, borrow and steal to get this finished in his honor. I miss him very much.

Welcome to the site. A great story indeed! Sounds like you have the drive to do it and I'm sure you will. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions along the way. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here to help .:)

Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of playing cars! A very cool story, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to updates and seeing the car cruising around...we are just up the road around Red Deer.

Welcome, and great story.
Sorry to hear about your dad, glad that you will create a tribute in his memory.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. Welcome to the group here.
Best of luck with the '47 Chev. I'm working on one too, so I'll be following your project.

Cheers, John

9FD42711-6961-4185-8CBD-0902440254A5_zpszfpxcahk.jpg

330C76BA-4891-4C8E-83C9-0FC8D875094E_zpsbnoiadvm.jpg

Welcome aboard and for sharing your story.

Its somewhat of a shame that you had to buy something back that was once in the family.

What's the story on there more-door?

Welcome aboard and for sharing your story.

Its somewhat of a shame that you had to buy something back that was once in the family.

What's the story on there more-door?

It is a shame and the person I bought it back from knew how much I wanted it and pretty much hosed me on the price...but what can you do?

The other car is a 1950 chev sedan donor car I picked up to use for parts, turns out, there isn’t much I can use in it. It’s complete and will be for sale soon to put money towards my build. :)

Welcome here, the car looks great, it is a cool thing you will be able to finish your Dads dream and add you own touches along the way.