1940 Ford Truck Build

Rustytin

Daddy got a new pair of boots... i saw this 40 ford chassis on Kijiji and snapped it up for the 40 pick up I am starting on. The old chassis that was under the 40 was wrong 42-46 style and someone had clipped it with a mid 80's Camaro style clip that was way to wide. So this is a great start most of the hard work was done. I got started on the tear down today and hope to have the truck on the road for next year if all goes well.The body is in great shape and front sheet metal is about an 8 out of 10. Here are the start of the build pics... stay tuned...:D
40chassis.jpg

40chassis4.jpg

40chassis3.jpg

40chassis2.jpg

2010_061840ford0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you call a guy who promises beer to his buddies to help swap a cab from one chassis to another..... and then does it himself to avoid buying the beer??

Scottish.

Nice looking chassis, weee Russ.

EYEEEE IF YOUR NOT SCOTTISH.... YOUR CRAP.... Ooops did I type that in my Scottish yelling accent?? Thanks Tinn I will buy some beer and you can come over and have one when I pull the body off the new chassis after seeing how things look.

Did you pick that up right in Prince George, Rusty? Looks a little like 1st Ave.,
if memory serves me correctly.

Bgbkwndo.

Great snag Rusty. The value of your truck just went way up. Lookin' forward to the build pics.

Al
:):):)

The truck came out of Alberta from Lacombe, a friend of mine had owned it for a long time and had it in storage and needed money so after years of talking about buying it.. I did.. The chassis was in Spruce grove Alberta and was just listed on Kijiji 2 weeks ago and I saw it and made a deal right away. It was under a 40 coupe a guy out there is building was an old time hotrod that he put a new TCI chassis under. I got the Chassis for $1500. It has a Macgyvers Must. 2 cross member and rear leaf kit with a narrowed 9" and the small booster with corvette master. I will post a few more pics of the cab and parts from the tear down today.

A few pics of tear down and putting the cab on the new chassis. I have to take the car body mounts off the side of the frame and then put the cab down mount the fenders and see how the front wheels look to see if cross member is in the right spot.
DSCF1313.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

DSCF1321.jpg

I saw that frame on Kijiji and thought it was a smoking deal. It didn't last long. Good for you getting it.

I saw that frame on Kijiji and thought it was a smoking deal. It didn't last long. Good for you getting it.

Ya Thats what I thought too Scotty... But when I called him he said someone else beat me to it and was going to come and get it in a day or so.. So I told him if this guy that wants it jerks you around I will gladly pay you what your asking... well 3 days went by and he phoned me and said if you want it it's yours so I payed him a deposit that day and picked it up this weekend... And to the other guy who was taking his time... Ya snooze ya loose:eek:

Man that is a good find Russ, it looks very good I hope everything lines up perfect for you so there will be less mucking around, but mate those body mounts look a bit wide and woodie, maybe consider using steel ones :D

What do you call a guy who promises beer to his buddies to help swap a cab from one chassis to another..... and then does it himself to avoid buying the beer??
Scottish.
Nice looking chassis, weee Russ.

OK so we're into bashing Scots now.

The Rolling Stones sing ' Hey You, Get Off My Cloud '
The Scots sing, ' Hey MacLeod, Get Off My Ewe '

Oh and the frame looks like you scored.

Last edited:
Today was pull the motor and trany out of the old chassis and roll it out of the shop and put the new one in. here are a couple of pics of out with the old and in with the new.
DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1325-1.jpg

DSCF1327.jpg

DSCF1328.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

this is the only rust in this truck the doors and rest of the cab are rust free:D
DSCF1333.jpg

Put the body down on the frame after I ground the rivits out and knocked off the car body mounts. Bolt holes all line up and test fit the front sheet metal to see how the cross member fit to the sheet metal. One thing about buying a frame some one else did you have to make sure things got put in the right spot. I'm still a bit leary on this one as it looks a bit to far ahead but will have to wait to I have all the fender aprons and braces on before I get to excited. any one know what a good measurement is from the front of the frame horn to the front face of the cross member for a 35 to 40 Ford :Dframe?

Put the body down on the frame after I ground the rivits out and knocked off the car body mounts. Bolt holes all line up and test fit the front sheet metal to see how the cross member fit to the sheet metal. One thing about buying a frame some one else did you have to make sure things got put in the right spot. I'm still a bit leary on this one as it looks a bit to far ahead but will have to wait to I have all the fender aprons and braces on before I get to excited. any one know what a good measurement is from the front of the frame horn to the front face of the cross member for a 35 to 40 Ford :Dframe?

I measured my stock 41 pickup:
Layed the tape measure on top of the frame, tip of frame to axle centerline looks like 16 1/2 inches.

The only way you'll know for sure is to compress the suspension to your goal ride height and mount the front sheetmetal. It sounds like that is what you're planning to do. Measurements are a good guideline, but in the end, it's all about how it looks regardless of the measurements. ;)

Thanks Bow interesting reading.. looks like mine is close to being in the right spot. Got nothing done today as I got called out for work:mad: god I hate when that happens:D

Been a while since I posted in this as life got in the way and ohhhh I built the new shop I picked up a 327 for the truck from Kamloops Kelly this weekend so kinda got my butt back in gear as the chassis is up in the new shop and well I can get to work on it rain shine snow or what ever now...:D Ill start posting picks soon.