1940 dodge sedan project.

Jeremy_E

So this is a driver now but, I want to either box out the frame or find a newer frame with similar dimensions and swap the body over then run a bigger motor.
There was the idea of finding a newer charger or challenger and trying to swap.
Thoughts ???? Advise ?
Photoshop ?
I'm new to hotroding and want to do it all myself but also want to try do do it properly on a budget.

I'm not a Mopar guy but it seems to me that 383 ran strong back in the day ....any reason why it isn't around much ? I would think that they would be a low budget motor , no ?

I would keep the stock frame. Easiest is a mustang ii kit or keep the stock front end with disk brakes and add a rack and pinion for steering. Cheapest motor to install will have a carb. The new stuff requires special harnesses and computers. For a first build, keep it simple and it will get done.

Good advice from Duke and Teejay. Can you drive the car with the stock six for now? They are a pretty stout little engine.
Strongly suggest not too much disassembly. That is when new folks to the hobby lose their way as it becomes overwhelming. Heck, even overwhelming at times for those that have built several cars.
Mustang 11 would be the way to go with a 383.....all relatively low cost. As well, those are pretty stout frames already and boxing would not be required.

Last edited:
or find a newer frame with similar dimensions and swap the body over then run a bigger motor. Thoughts ???? Advise ?

I would keep the stock frame. Easiest is a mustang ii kit or keep the stock front end with disk brakes, For a first build, keep it simple and it will get done.

I think Mopar cars from about 1970 had uni-bodies, no frame as such, you could do a sub frame transplant (see )

http://canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20034

but the cross member kit is easier. I understand your enthusiasm and do your homework like you are, but the unfortunate reality is that many big projects never get finished and become over whelming unless you are a profession welder or won the lotto. I wish there was, but there are no easy frame swaps for anything, it is best to modify / improve the existing frame :)

This is F1 on a S10 frame, see how dorky stupid the to narrow front track looks?

F1 with mustang II kit.
The Mopar frame, because of its springs pockets. is not even a easy fit for a mustang II kit.

:)

Or check out a 60-70s Dodge front suspension with the cross over torsion bar suspension, as that would probably be cheaper than Mll front end, and still give you a nice ride, disc brakes, and be able to adjust the ride height.

A lot of the fifties Mopar pickup guys use Dakota chassis, a measuring tape would see if that would work or not.

Sheldon

Was thinking more newer charger/ challenger. (Plastic ones). Lol
Reinforcing the frame and using the mustang II front clip might just be the best bet.
I am a welder/fabricator by trade and have over 10 years in such so cutting and welding will be done with priecision.

After taking the car off the frame I might change my mind depending on how different frames will line up. I think this dodge has a narrow front end already
Wouldn't mind having a shorter axel in the rear to put some more meat under the fenders, but again the measurements will determine a lot of this build.
I would like to thank all of you for your input and look forward to more advise !
Glad I joined this forum n

Last edited:
Car looks pretty damn good the way it is. I say drive the wheels off of it and have a ton of fun doing it...when you brake something then weld something stronger on and drive the heck out of it again...my 2cents..

Was thinking more newer charger/ challenger. (Plastic ones). Lol
Reinforcing the frame and using the mustang II front clip might just be the best bet.
I am a welder/fabricator by trade and have over 10 years in such so cutting and welding will be done with priecision.

After taking the car off the frame I might change my mind depending on how different frames will line up. I think this dodge has a narrow front end already
Wouldn't mind having a shorter axel in the rear to put some more meat under the fenders, but again the measurements will determine a lot of this build.
I would like to thank all of you for your input and look forward to more advise !
Glad I joined this forum n

I'm going to quote tinmann here, a fellow forum member: "No frame fits a body better than the one it was born with"! I'm not sure if the wording is exact, but the theme is correct. And...I agree with my learned friend on this matter.

Bgbkwndo.

I agree with the fitment, the matter of a blower motor sitting where the strait 6 is the concern.
;)
More for looks of course. Not a drag car. The boxing of the frame may help ? I've heard people just welding in minor bracing to the original frame would suffice.
I guess what I'm looking for is a car/frame that can handle substantially more power than was built for.
So ? Box ? Brace ? Front end ? Rear end ? I have a lot of questions and am very eager to get started.
Want to do it right though, so I will be asking even more questions as I go.
Again. Thanks you all so far for your input and let's hope I can make a dream come true !