1937 Ford Coupe Build

hooligan

Supporting Member
Okay so now that the coupe is done I will be starting on my next project, a 1937 Ford coupe. I've had the car for about a year and have been hitting swap meets and collecting parts for it during that time. My plan is to build it as a custom, chopped, extend the rear fenders, full air ride, skirts, new dash etc, etc. I've got some cool ideas brewing on how I want it to be when it's done, but that won't be for a long time.

Coupe when I picked it up, looks like someone "tried" to hot rod in the 80s. It has a sbc, MII, and a ford 8" rear. Someone also tried their hand at a flip front end and a really crude interior made from plywood. All the welding looks horrific and I will be redoing all the suspension and MII install.

A very not-nice interior

Floors are in great shape though

A really bad dash idea,

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch nice rustic interior! The fella must have be a car--penter! Or like Henry ford in the early days owned his own Forrest? Can't wait to see you work your magic on it. I will be checkin in to see what you have been up to on this ride.

Bash

Last edited:
Took the car for sandblasting shortly after I bought it, being that whomever worked on this car used bondo to mold the hood to the fenders, and bondo'd the rear fenders to the body for a seamless look I had my concerns on what lay beneath.

The passenger side of the car is in relatively good shape, metal wise. The drivers side rear quarter is gone, full of holes and terrible patches. The hood and the rear fenders were thankfully just tack welded and I managed to save the hood as it is in great shape. The rear fenders are pretty rough. I'll have my hands full with the metal working.

I have a lot of parts for the build including the air ride, excellent original front fenders, a really good grill, brakes, mint front and rear chrome bumpers, new rear fenders. NOS 4x2 Weiand intake, a mint drivers side door, a nice complete 55 Ford dash and a few other things. I'm gonna start on the suspension and get it laying on it's running boards first. Moving her into the garage this weekend:cool:

Last edited:
You got some work there! Indeed!

Bash

Having the english wheel, shrinker/stretcher will come in handy for sure. I should be able to make templates of the crown of the quarter based on the passengers side as it is in really good condition. The one solid piece other than hood is the decklid. I had the windshield frame but it blew off the car somewhere on highway 2, turns out all the wood and garnish mouldings were installed with silly putty, lol.

Keep us posted on progress !! looking good !

Whats a cookie cutter car???? looks like Genuine Henry to me ???

Cheers Shane

....geez, the drivers side looks like a woodpecker on acid went at it......cool car, cool start....I'll be following your progress....

Ok so another cookie cutter car :(

I have to agree with bruce those are just so bellybutton with all your talent and money your gonna put in it go a little extra now you will never regret it.It seams it don't matter who you talk to over coffee or at the shows if it has a sbc in it just leave the hood closed. Sorry to the diehard chevy fans but sure wished someone had told me earlier on,there are so many Ford combo's you could use that would make you proud to open the hood. Just my 2 cents worth.

Randy

I have to agree with bruce those are just so bellybutton with all your talent and money your gonna put in it go a little extra now you will never regret it.It seams it don't matter who you talk to over coffee or at the shows if it has a sbc in it just leave the hood closed. Sorry to the diehard chevy fans but sure wished someone had told me earlier on,there are so many Ford combo's you could use that would make you proud to open the hood. Just my 2 cents worth.

Randy

Thanks for your input. The car I posted, I said I liked. Not sure what kind of cookies you guys eat, but that finished 37 is anything but a cookie cutter if you ask me.
Any which way, I have yet to start even really tearing down mine, it will be anything but a "cookie" cutter. As far as the motor goes, yes it has a running sbc, will it stay? Not sure, it's WAY to early to tell
Dean

Keep us posted on progress !! looking good !

Whats a cookie cutter car???? looks like Genuine Henry to me ???

Cheers Shane

Cookie cutter car refers to the engine I think. Installing the SBC is what I would say is running out of money or ideas approach. It was free or pretty near free it also moves the car forward and backward under its own power so it'll do.
If I had the choice this is what I would use......

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/rmk57/jim-inglese-coyote-ford-50-stack-injection.jpg

Last edited:
A cookie cutter hot rod is following the crowd and installing the same old BS chevy engine, no matter what brand of car it is. If I had a Gm power plant under the hood of any of my customs it would be coming right out to be replaced with almost anything except jap engines, including a Citroen CV2!!!!!

Last edited:
Yikes, that interior was something else!

Cool project, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I like where it's going so far! Glad it's being saved from its previous incarnation and it looks like you're doing a great job undoing all the previous "fixes". ;)

Thanks for posting the thread. Always good to see more projects here. :)

Last edited:
No problems I just feel that too many people just have to follow the crowd, not thinking for themselves and showing no imagination. SBC engines are the third most sickening thing mentioned in the hot rod world, following both "patina" and "barn find" which means I think my car is worth 50 times more than I can possibly get for a best offer

....looks like a great project, pert near same car as my 38 std coupe. I'm looking forward to seeing what and how you do the build. You guys are funny talking about using the SBC. If it makes you feel better I'm a diehard GM guy but have never put a sbc in anything yet.....:D.

A SBF is every bit reliable as the Chevy and I wouldn't consider one oddball.
Resale value may be better with a Ford engine, only because it will have more appeal to a buyer who likes his ford engines in ford cars.

Randy