1937 Chev Sedan father and son project

Thanks for allowing me into the group. My son and I purchased a 37 Chev Sedan Standard model built in Oshawa Ont. It looks to be a very solid barn find. Original matching numbers to the engine. The stovebolt 6 and it turns over. We came across this barn find after meeting an ol boy at my sons yard sale. As it turned out he has several old cars and was selling them. We had to spend many hours with him to gain his trust. He doesnt sell to anybody. We were after a 35 chev but he decided not to part with it right away so we settled on this 37.
Other than mice having their way and eroding wires, its not bad. All original except one one running board.
We've started to tear it down for body and paint. Our plan is to have it sand blasted, epoxy primer then to a body man..... Interior to come later.
We are looking to find reasonable priced body guys hopefully in Durham Region or even a little more east of that. anyone who knows let me know. One way or the other hoping to see it running next summer

Welcome to the site. There are lots of folks here who can give you guidance as you go. Photos in due course. A good parts source is Chevys of the 40’s in Vancouver Washington. Great folks to deal with.
thanks for joining up

Welcome to the sandbox, or should I say the abyss.
I can attest to the Chev's of the 40's, and if you plan to modify it, they have another company - Street Rod Headquarters.
Or So-Cal in Surrey BC or The Old Car Center in Langley BC.

Pics would be nice..

Welcome to the group Mr. Stovebolt. I wish you well with your progect nomatter what direction you go with it. Which begs the question, what direction are you going with this, stock restoration or modified. You say you plan to sandblast the body. Be careful there as sandblasting is generally not reccomended as it is likely to warp the body panels. Consider other methods to strip the car. We all here will be interested to see photos of your car and tollow along with the progress.

Welcome aboard !! Interesting choice of a project ...sounds like fun . How old is your son ? Where are the pics? It never happened without them. Body guys in the Durham Region .................that is tough no matter who you find you will be cutting a deal with the Devil unfortunately. Keep us in the loop !

Cheers Shane

Welcome..2 door?.more door?..rod?..restore?…agree with gfart..don’t sandblast…pictures?..direction of build..all good questions that have been asked by others…and the answers are?..reasonable priced body man?..good luck…maybe try it yourself…what do you have to lose…if it doesn’t come out right grind it off and try again …and take and post pictures please.

Welcome, sounds like you have good intentions…I agree with these guys, Johnny wrote it well!
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I will look forward to your updates.

Thanks for the welcome to all . Ive had a couple cars in my day. A 72 Nova, a 55 Plymouth and a 64 Ford. All fun . My son has re built an 86 Mustang for himself. Like most sons it sat in my garage for several years before getting road worthy. This is the first full build for me and his second.
We found this 37 in a barn find . The old boy actually has several cars he is selling. But he sure is an odd duck. We had to gain his trust before he would sell anything. We may return to him . He has a 35 Chev sedan im interested in.
We have explored the sandblast theory as there are many materials you can use in this venture to do the blasting. I agree with some. Finding a reputable guy is key. A good blaster can do the job well. A poor one can be a nightmare. Anyway meeting with an upholstery guy tomorrow. We will research body guys as we find them. they are a little scarce out here in Ontario where we are with line ups for the good ones. Dont really want to do the body ourselves. Wanna see this bad boy on the road by next year. Ill get the pics together and get them out soon.

Ok boys. Anybody got anywhere i can look for info on removing the clutch form a 37 Chev..... im sure a few years either way might work.... we have the engine out and the car tore down, got the tranny off , just want to remove the bell housing so we can mount the straight 6 engine on mounting roller to work on it .... cant seem to find anything immediate on you tube ....

Doesn’t it just unbolt?…get a wrench..unbolt some bolts…take pictures for reference…and post them here…

Found this..
6BC74404-BC8C-40D2-AFC9-C61DF3CDEF39.jpeg

thanks so much boys. figured it out . you see the clutch mechanism has a centre piece. by depressing it , the springs will loosen off . tomorrow we will lift out the clutch . after that , you have to remove the flywheel to get at the bolts behind it . then the bell housing will come off.
just as a note ..... so far other than grinding a few screws from the base the fenders , this car has been a good girl. all bolts came out without breaking them. just goes to show you that way back then , bolts were made of good steel. And the frame, totally in tact and in good shape , as well as the floor.
As soon as i have time and figure it out ill post photos . Might need the kids help tto learn that . But I promise ......

Only Chev's could be that worrisome hiding bolts from dedicated fans,,, Ford rules...correct Johnny?
Ha..your wife must be a saint to put up with you…we all know that deep down and behind that gruff attitude your are a Chevy fan..eh…lol…stay safe over the holidays my friend.

thanks so much boys. figured it out . you see the clutch mechanism has a centre piece. by depressing it , the springs will loosen off . tomorrow we will lift out the clutch . after that , you have to remove the flywheel to get at the bolts behind it . then the bell housing will come off.
just as a note ..... so far other than grinding a few screws from the base the fenders , this car has been a good girl. all bolts came out without breaking them. just goes to show you that way back then , bolts were made of good steel. And the frame, totally in tact and in good shape , as well as the floor.
As soon as i have time and figure it out ill post photos . Might need the kids help tto learn that . But I promise ......
Welcome here, it is possibly a good thing you got the 37 instead of the earlier model because 1936 was the last year of the wooden frame work and the 37 was a much better body. I had a 36 Chev Coupe I bought out of New Zealand once and the timber had dried out and was getting very loose so I sold the car, well a guy bought it really and wanted it more than I wanted to keep it. I do have a book which shows it is titled "The Chevrolet complete owner's Handbook or repair maintenance covering all models 1929 thru 1955 including powerglide." It is published by Floyd Clymer. Page 95 is the start of the clutch section, so perhaps you might be able to google that book and check it out. Cheers and happy times rebuilding that car. John