1932 Ford 3- Window Coupe

Admin

Administrator
Project Menu
(click each Update if you wish to go directly there)

Update 1 - Intro & Body (just below)
Update 2 - Chop Part 1

Update 1 – Intro & Body
1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe

Automobile enthusiasts have a very diverse, somewhat inexplicable, cross section of their “likes”. That’s what makes the hobby interesting. Personally, I happen to like 1932 Fords (and Volvo PV544s if you have seen the other project) and have since before I had a driver’s license – more or less a lifelong passion which started with a model of a ’32 which won a hobby shop model building contest (assisted/inspired by my mentor and brother-in-law).

I have also had an opportunity to express that passion through a number of scratch-built 32’s that finished up with quite different characters in terms of their function and theme: one a clean, high tech 'glass 3-window coupe with all the bells and whistles, the other a very low tech 'glass roadster with some contemporary design elements but with basically a key and a headlight switch.

This car will be a straight-ahead interpretation - in a more traditional style (of which there are many I should add in case this doesn't match your idea of "traditional").

Design

Before getting started, I had already thought long and hard about how the car would ultimately look in EVERY detail. Like the roadster mentioned above, I asked my friend and graphic designer Matthew Labutte of Brightwork Studio if he would illustrate the car for me based on the detailed design specs I provided.

What resulted were the two illustrations included in this update: the basic illustration and a version with the car in a composition. Matthew chose to name the composition version “Redux” (as in rethinking or presented in a new way).

It will become clear over time how closely this design model echoes the real thing.

The Body

I came across the body in Calgary, Alberta, Canada while preparing for the first “Points West” Canadian Hot Rod Tour. It had flipped around between a few hot rod shops and was for sale. It is one of the very early Brookville 3-Window bodies which lacked a number of refinements of the current bodies (one example: the trunk lid, while having a hole for a handle, had no provision or opening for a latching mechanism in the lid or the valance).

Because it had sat around for so long, there was a fair amount of surface rust on the underside and in enclosed areas.

The photos accompanying this intro detail: As shipped from Brookville Roadster, the wood around and below the rear window (Note the installed window mechanism), door / jamb details, a good look at the complete underside of the body (We'll talk more about the trunk floor in a future update), all wood removed in preparation of upcoming work, detail of latch area, trunk inner rear quarter, trunk lid detail – inner, cowl vent detail, header detail, door detail, dash / cowl area detail, inside shot of rear turret and sail panel after removal of wood, floor detail and the passenger side “sail panel” marked up (details in upcoming articles).

Shortly after acquiring the body, we decided to drive down to Brookville Roadster and had a great tour complements of Kenny Gollohan of Brookville.

Should you be interested in the photos from our visit to Brookville Roadster, you can check them out HERE.

Here are the first five photos. the balance can be viewed HERE.

update1a.jpg
update1b.jpg
update1c.jpg
update1d.jpg
update1g.jpg

Last edited:
i really like the final look. I am of the theory that “less is more” and that rendering captures what I think a deuce should look like. No bling bling

i really like the final look. I am of the theory that “less is more” and that rendering captures what I think a deuce should look like. No bling bling
Thanks Keith. Glad you checked out the other photos.

Looking good the illustrations are a great way to keep your focus . You do have the advantage of having built these before which can often " refine " our preferences , but it looks like you have a plan . Looking forward to updates .

Yes, the Brookville body is a great launching pad. I too like the rendition drawings...that should add some life into a project...and a great anchor too.
thanks for these efforts to share.
Greg

Very Cool. I love these cars. I got a chance to see these bodies at GNRS at Brookville's booth or should I say large parking space. Nice ass.

Attachments

• 20170127_180226.jpg
    20170127_180226.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Update 2 - Chop Part 1
So, moving on...
If you visited the photo gallery from my first update, you may have noticed that the rendering shows a chopped car (2").
update1.jpg

So, with this second update, some photos of the chop (part 1). The chop was done by a very skilled craftsman (“Dave”) who, before this, had worked in the RM Restoration Shop. The chop process is similar to the process used by Bobby Walden. That is, the "sail" panel (the compound curved rear section) is not cut in order to preserve it's stamped shape. Also, the A pillars are also not cut through but are sectioned in two different places: the outer sheet metal and the inner structure.

To make it easier to present the photos and write-up, I have put all the photos in a gallery outside the forum and have placed the descriptive text just below the photos.

So, please visit the full update with photos here:

Here are four of the 22 photos.

The "before"

update2 (1).jpg

Bracing that has been added to stabilize the cabin.

update2 (2).jpg

The area in the red box is the area that will be dealt with in this part of the process.

update2 (5).jpg

The factory spot welds securing the turret to the sail panels need to be broken then preliminary cuts will be made on each side just above the masking tape to release the panel. After the piece is removed, the body and the turret section will be final-trimmed to effectively remove the 2" of material.

update2 (9).jpg

Last edited:
Wow....great progress. I like your build approach Frank. Thanks for the tutorial.

i like the finished design. Having never done a complete chop myself yet I don’t understand the method of chop. The sail panel will have to be cut somewhere and welded back together..I’m assuming at the bottom..the compound curves will be cut into either spot..so what is the difference if you take it out of the middle or out of the bottom? Not criticizing..just trying to understand the benefits of the bottom cut.

i like the finished design. Having never done a complete chop myself yet I don’t understand the method of chop. The sail panel will have to be cut somewhere and welded back together..I’m assuming at the bottom..the compound curves will be cut into either spot..so what is the difference if you take it out of the middle or out of the bottom? Not criticizing..just trying to understand the benefits of the bottom cut.
John, thanks for your comment. If you give me a few more updates on the chop (I figure there will be five in all), the handling of the sail panel will be revealed. I'm combing through a ton of photos and writing commentary.