1930 Ford Model A Vicky Build Considerations

Smooth roof

Tim, this is the roof insert on my A project, it was from a Volvo wagon.
Not sure if there is enough crown to the piece, it has a very low crown but definately not flat.
The roof is also pancaked so it also shows a lower shape.
Image008.jpg

Brian

I have used Chevy Astro van ( the short w/b Vans) skins with good luck before if you don't mind the ribs.
At least a Vicky has a short opening to fill, compared to a regular sedan.

Not as cheap mas a wrecker yard van roof, but much better looking is the inserts made and sold by Walden Speed Shop. They are vehicle specific and fit like a glove.

Thanks for the responses so far
Brian what year Volvo
b-bob what year astro van
Ribbed vs non I am really on the fence as I like both:confused::confused::D

Solid Roof Option

Tim:

Here's one that is ribbed and I think is from a '58 Ford Station Wagon. Picture not great but if you want a closer look it belongs to our daughter and her husband and I can get better photos.

IMG_0544.jpg

We've used a '80's Suburban roof on a Model A sedan....we used the front part that is flat starting at the sunvisor.....the crown worked out perfect and matched along the side of the sedan. The only 'issue' was at tar of the car. The ribs were too long, so we cut the Suburban roof to match the roof corners on the Sedan, and then we made little 'teardrops' out of 1" x 3/16" flat bar to taper the ribs down to nothing.

I dont know if this makes any sense, but it worked.

Not as cheap mas a wrecker yard van roof, but much better looking is the inserts made and sold by Walden Speed Shop. They are vehicle specific and fit like a glove.

That sounds like an excellent way to go......................

Tim I am thinking because it will be such a small area on a Vicky maybe just a non ribbed roof might look better. Oh well there ya go just my 2c worth.

I'm for the non ribbed roof also, but then I still like the resto rod look of the '70's.
Tim, what roof style did your original Vic have?
PHIL

John, the Walden pieces are the best, heavy 16 guage and and fit perfect, but i don't know if he makes one for a Vicky. Maybe worth finding out.

I liked the ribbed ones because you only had to work it to the first rib on a model A. No warpage problems. Thats one large area to get perfect on a thin piece of filler material.

Also i have a Malibu s/w roof panel that are the prefered filler panels on Model A sedans here for sale.

And if it was my ca,r it wood have a stock type roof panel, but that Vicky obviously isn't going to be a traditional car.

I'm for the non ribbed roof also, but then I still like the resto rod look of the '70's.
Tim, what roof style did your original Vic have?
PHIL
Phil
It was a full vinyl. Daryl has painstakingly filled the groove that the roof would have finished in around the back and across above the back window

31vickyAutorama86001.jpg

Jack
Thanks for the info. Not too sure how many fifties donor cars are left around here.
Brian
We will take a look at any Volvo units available

b-bob
I looked at their web site with no vicky units listed also I think shipping would be brutal

We are going to make a template up out of 1/4 ply and head to the wreckers keeping in mind the suggestions here.

Thanks for the responses so far
Brian what year Volvo
b-bob what year astro van
Ribbed vs non I am really on the fence as I like both:confused::confused::D

The filler roofs were always supplied with the cars, but i would guess they would be from the nineties.

Also on a Model A tudor, the Malibu wagons filler piece was short enough that the ribs didn't have to be shortened. I chopped and used Malibu skins on a lot of A's. The Astro van piece is also great for 33/4 Ford sedans too.

Phil
It was a full vinyl. Daryl has painstakingly filled the groove that the roof would have finished in around the back and across above the back window

b-bob
I looked at their web site with no vicky units listed also I think shipping would be brutal

We are going to make a template up out of 1/4 ply and head to the wreckers keeping in mind the suggestions here.

I would check your local hotrod parts store, they may be able to bring one in for you. One for a tudor would only need to be shortened.
They are great pieces, but not cheap. But because they are 16 guage, you would realy have to screw up to warp one.