1930 Ford Model A Vicky Build Considerations

Tooltime

Supporting Member
I am just about to start a new project and have been looking around at frames for model A's. They seem to all have less bracing/cross members than the 32's or 33/34's. Is this because they are deemed to be a lighter car or that the frame is allowed to twist like the originals. I plan to use IFS along with a jag rear (already in stock) along with either a traditional railed frame or tube style like my 33. I am open to any helpful hints or suggestions.
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
are you buildin a model A? depends on the frame and chassis builder to how you want the inside of your frame braced but also a model frame is small and not alot of room for much and they are strong if built rite ..
bgbdlinc ? actully the model A was goin too be a V8 car as well on the same frame but the proto type V8 was a thermal syphon engine and they could not keep it running cold enuff and over heated all the time .. there is a few of those motors floatin around still ..

Tim, if I was going to put independent suspension on both ends of a Model A frame, I would engineer an X into the centre. Typically "A" frames are 0.120 wall 2 x 3. Not much strength on their own. A '35/36 style X would make a big improvement.

2587276020043835643yxVDUg_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
this is my 33 frame that I thought I would duplicate with the Model A dimensions

Yep,
that'll do it Tim. I don't know how you're going to snake the exhaust through the cage...but it'll be strong enough!!!!

Here's mine, it's a 28/31 frame
Frame002.jpg

Last edited:
Tim,
We built Cooter's frame for the red coupe out of 2X4X.125 HSS The car handles 500+ HP. It pretty much duplicates Horton's Model "A" chassis when he was building them. I have the drawing for it if you're interested.

Mike

all i have ever used is 2x4 x .125 wall frame the frame is tappered out towards the rear which gives you trianglation . one of the chassis i built years ago is runnin a blown big block 750 plus horse thru a jag and he has never had issues with it ..

Tim,
We built Cooter's frame for the red coupe out of 2X4X.125 HSS The car handles 500+ HP. It pretty much duplicates Horton's Model "A" chassis when he was building them. I have the drawing for it if you're interested.

Mike

Mike I wouldn't mind taking a look at them. I will try and call you before you leave for Kalamazoo:confused:
Tim

Thanks Wayne but the picture doesn't show the cross member. I wimped out on the exhaust and ran it under the frame (wanted the car on the road before the summer was over) it is on the to do list with lots of u bends
Tim

At the very least fit a K Memeber in there. It will surprise you just how much twist you will get in that chassis. I like the way Wayne has done his.

Tim ,
here's a better shot of the crossmember. I ran the exhaust on either side of the driveshaft/torque arm.
Frame001.jpg

Thanks Wayne
I think a road tour to tmr in Toronto is coming up on Tuesday to buy a pro-tools bender and notcher. Has anyone had experience with these products before I jump in :confused::D

Tim

Van Roof For Miss Vicky

I know a number of people have used a van roof to fill the top in. My question is what didn't work so well or what did work :confused::confused: I would like to get one before the weather turns too bad:(:(
Back at the frame today
Thanks Tim

Most vans have ribs along their length - I've seen a few done this way and I don't mind the look. S-10 Blazers and Jimmys are good donors too, as many of the van roofs will be too long. Just check a few out that are already done this way to decide if you like it "Ribbed" or "Smooth" (ask the females and most will say "Ribbed" - don't know why?)

(ask the females and most will say "Ribbed" - don't know why?)

Hahahahahahahahahahahah!!! That's a damn good one for a laugh, first thing this morning!! Thanks for that!:)

Have seen a few cars roof's filled in using car hoods.Lot's of interesting hoods available to give a unique look.Easy to remove as well.joe mac

Most times when I take a car to scrap, I will remove the roof skin just for this purpose. Their double crown may save a step at the english wheel if you pick a donor car with a similar size to your Vicky.;) ....if you decide to go with a smooth roof.

Last edited:
Since you are asking............I like the smooth look, I don't have any good pictures of the roof of my 32 2 door......
100_2167.jpg

oldies_3.jpg