1928 Roadster project "Salt Shaker"

rboyd73

Supporting Member
Hello all

Just thought i would share my build of a 1928 Roadster. This will be my first hot rod. Must of my previous experiance is on my 1973 maverick i have been playing with for the last 14 years but after atending the goodguys show in spokane in 2012 i knew i wanted to build a hot rod. I picked up a complete but being almost 90 years old and having a hard life out on the parries 1928 canadian AR roadster including the worn out tire chains in the trunk.
qG9gL2ih.jpg

The plan started out simple. Build a nice traditional slat flat styled roadster Flathead powered, 5SPD trans, a nice driver, I wanted to do as much as the work myself in my garage as possible

After disasembly I found more frame rust and cracks than I liked. I decided if i was to replace the frame I wanted to set it up on pinched 32 rails.
gAYGLuKh.jpg

Since I like a chalange and being able to say i did it myself I picked up a set of JW rod garage rails and a Socal model A front crosmeber. Next stop was to the local scrap yard to find the steel to build a frame table. I found a stash of 8X2 beams and a bunch of 2X2 2x3 at $.30lb it was a great find. I built it using the Wescott Plans for the pinched 32 frame.
xPhRkjmh.jpg

To get some curves into the rails i pie cut the rear section and cowl area to pinch them in to fit the 28 body. Tacked the rails into the frame jig after mesuring multiple times getting it within 1/6" square and level. I welded all the pie cuts back up and ground smooth. Now im just working on getting the front crossmember in the corect position before i start boxing the frame. I have a Welder Series center crosmemeber and rear 4 link kit.
eMNpsT7h.jpg

I have picked up a 1953 flat head but due to a split piston and a damaged block due to a lose Valve seat i belive that this will be my mock up engine. Still on a hunt for a maverick 8" rear end for this project. I will try to update as if proceed

Last edited:
Wow, great project and super photo journal. I'll be following this one closely:)

I Installed the front crossmember into the frame it has a built in caster of 7 degrease. Started on installing the boxing plates welded on little tabs to the out side of the plates so they could be clamped in position so the weld would not be ground off when finishing.
kEsPX3Eh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking work!!
How does the flooring take the grinding, buffing and welding? Do you cover your immediate work area? Looks good in the pictures, interested in re-finishing my concrete garage floor. I have a shop to 'work' in, but there is always something happening in the garage as well.
Great pictures.

Nice looking work!!
How does the flooring take the grinding, buffing and welding? Do you cover your immediate work area? Looks good in the pictures, interested in re-finishing my concrete garage floor. I have a shop to 'work' in, but there is always something happening in the garage as well.
Great pictures.
I did the floor my self its from a company called Legacy Industrial. Very nice finished product but it is a lot of prep work and labour applying it. But saying that you do save money over hiring a Epoxy Garage floor coating company. It holds up to grind Sparks but will burn from cutting slag or MIG sparks. I now just use a fire blanket when welding after putting a few burn marks in it.

If you plan on running a flathead why wouldn't you stay with a much more traditional rear and suspension? Ona salt style car with no fenders a four link is gonna look out of place.

Are you still on the hunt for a maverick rear? I have a complete maverick 8" assembly (drum to drum) that I'm just taking off a 32. Was set up for tri-four link.

Are you still on the hunt for a maverick rear? I have a complete maverick 8" assembly (drum to drum) that I'm just taking off a 32. Was set up for tri-four link.

What gear ratio & how much?

Last edited:
Update on my build

I was able to finish boxing the first frame rail and then install the boxing plate for the second. Ground the top welds down and will get the bottom when i have it out of the jig so i can flip it upside down. Next was to bob the rear of the frame
kEsPX3Eh.jpg

No turning back now, I left some extra so i can decide how i want them finish cut to follow the boxing plates

I braced the body and removed the old seat pan, what was left of the floor and cut the rear sub rails to allow it to slip over the 32 frame
Fpv4lIeh.jpg

Next step was lift the body onto the frame and see how close the Wescott frame plane was. was able to use my engine lift instead of having to call for volunteers. The fit was ok but the Body is in need of new sub rails and patch panels
UKkAKekh.jpg

uYgJW4uh.jpg

I decided to clean up my old engine so i didn't have to work around 60years of engine gunk. Of course it's not a hot rod with out a red engine.
Bolted the S10 trans up with a Cornhusker Adapter plate. Some clearance grinding was need to clear the starter cover and a little fine tuning to get the trans to slip into the adapter correctly. looking forward to mocking it into place so i can install the frame centre crossmember and trans mount.
R16T7tdh.jpg

Last edited:
Your shop is disgusting.....nice and clean and painted...and look at that floor !!
Oh and yeah....the car is coming along nicely....very nice craftsmanship....keep it up :) and more updates please.....

Hello Figure i better due a update for Feb.
I was able to start test fitting the engine position in relation to the body. I believe I have it were I want it just back to the fire wall with out having to make any cuts or clearance into it. Installed the original rad to check for fan clearance.
4248wc4h.jpg

From there I tacked in my engine mounts and moved on to the centre crossmember
wXbwJMYh.jpg

For the first time i was able to cut the tacks holding the frame into the table Lucky nothing moved when the tacks were cut (as planed) was able to flip the frame over finish the lower tube for the crossmember and finish the last few inches of boxing plate welds. Followed with a lot of grinding to smooth every thing out
5QBxBffh.jpg

Finished the weekend by test fitting the Pete and Jakes front end.
Y4kLqVKh.jpg

Last edited:
Wow....nice looking chassis........and the shop is great too !!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post up the photo essay :)

....with a work sample like that....when are you going to open your own rod building shop? Damn, that's professional grade stuff.....I can only dream....