‘36 Ford coupe updates

PG409

Supporting Member
A lot of little things to do this winter. The car sat for several years. Have installed new tires and exhaust system. M/T valve covers had no baffles and leaked oil and looked ugly. A friend has a set of stock steel ones. Also a Bonneville disc off my old 39 Chevy became the air cleaner top. Ironic in that this coupe also travelled with us to Bonneville twice . Updates as the weeks go by.

4BAE4698-FECD-4DDD-8F6A-D36C37FF7E85.jpeg
D9FBCA45-AB90-4C8B-ADE0-64BA76930793.jpeg
C3793C50-4B18-4233-9B8C-E8EC8E5F44B0.jpeg

I think it’s great when someone reuses a part of a car or a part of anything and makes something else out of it that looks like it should have been made that way in the first place…did I say that right or did I loose you when I was trying to say that….anyways it’s a complement…

That’s a nice car…what have you got in it for suspension?..coil overs?..bags?…springs and shocks?..and are you happy with the ride?

4 inch dropped axle, posies springs. Nine inch Ford on posies dual springs, Vega box. Runs, drives and steers very well

So my buddy Ken installed a plexiglass insert in the stock roof area. The originals had wooden top bows, then chicken wire, then felt padding and then a long grain rubber that was held and stretched into place by a rubber moulding that fits into a half inch wide trough and you hammer it all in place with a rubber mallet and piece of wood. Fortunately when he installed the glass it was forced in and took on the curve of the roof lines. So I am going to cover the ugly mess with 1/4 inch dense foam and boat top material. I ordered a new rubber moulding even though the present one (currently only looking pretty) seems quite pliable. I have a local trimmer who is going to assist me (or I am going to assist him) lol.

6A67E82B-7669-4E80-98F6-1C2CFC30591F.jpeg

Slowly picking away at the coupe. Made new side and trunk panels. These are not seen from pass compartment. Going to glue a black cloth rug type material to sides and floor. The ugly aftermarket continental kit tire cover is going! Have an original Ford one arriving from a friend weds.

D0C72708-AD2C-4AB7-9FE4-300A857E11D2.jpeg
355384DA-7DCF-4CBE-8E04-CFAAFC2A870B.jpeg
36546C48-4CC5-45EA-A840-4BF1FD259A82.jpeg

Nice one Keith, I had a 5 window coupe when I was young and thought I would do a mild custom on it, I took the Jig Saw out one lunch time at work and cut the front and rear guards ( Fenders ) into a radius from where the seam was where they bolted at the front and to the top of the wheel arch then went back a few inches and cut that down to near the bottom at the back, the running boards went to the dump because they had rubber stuck to them so couldn't go in the scrap steel bin, that made them flexible so I welded some 1/4 "rod around the outside edge and I remember my boss telling me to use a low gauge rod, ( Arc Welder ) then a set of Vauxhall PA tail lights in a V were put in just where the Spare tire was mounted but to the outside of the body if you understand what I am saying there. A lady showed me a photo of it when I was charging around the track with it up on 2 wheels and I remembered that very well because I near popped when I thought I had rolled it but got it back on all 4 again, hahah, good old days when you could just go and find another one if needed. I did all of that work on the cars in my lunch hours at work and often the boss would come and give me advise, he was a cool guy and car nut himself. I thought it looked pretty neat back then when I look back now I think it must have looked pretty terrible but at least the tires didn't scrap anymore when I was running at the grass track racing.

My boss was a great influence when I had a MK1 Zephyr I used as a drive car and also raced it. All of my cars were drivers as well as racing them.

So I look at your car here and do like that. Interesting seeing what changes you make.

Last edited:
John. Thanks for your comments. Mostly I am just refreshing what is there. No appearance changes of note in the plans. Carhasbeen parked and neglected since Ken passed.
I will pick away. Thanks goodness something to do in shop as otherwise we are stuck inside at minus weather. Spent an hour outside moving snow today. Grrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Hmmmm, how did I miss this thread???. Looks great.
Slowly picking away at the coupe. Made new side and trunk panels. These are not seen from pass compartment. Going to glue a black cloth rug type material to sides and floor. The ugly aftermarket continental kit tire cover is going! Have an original Ford one arriving from a friend weds.

View attachment 3906View attachment 3907View attachment 3908
What did you use for those panels and where did you get it??

Cody. They are1/8 inch fibreboard and got them at Windsor plywood, as you can see on back of trunk lid you can bend them quite a bit. I bought two four by eight sheets and had them cut them in half so I could transport them in my suv.
the black very thin carpet material is from Canadian tire. In their floor mat section. They sell it in rolls I bought three Then attached with spray glue.
C4B3D95B-0BEF-492E-8E24-7FBFEE18162E.jpeg
F9572ED5-88BC-4059-9D56-D1A1C604DE67.jpeg