Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

This is a car I almost bought for $800 back in 1971. It was in North Van at the time. Had a flathead and chromed reverse wheels. Should have bought it. I think I bought my 47 coupe off Norm Abrahams instead. Pat.

scan0010.jpg

Not sure Frank's frame & model B engine stuff complete with the now so hard to find spd equ. is around but Frank is, on the Sunshine Coast. I recall that time very well setting up for the show's but more to the point, sitting around the clubhouse having a "few" regularly sitting on that frame & then heading out for chinese food down at Kingway & Rupert.. not the drill in today's time as I remember running Frank back to the clubhouse on Smith Ave. thereafter him rolling out the door into the ditch...he was still happy though!!! Also, the '34 coach in the background was Mel Clarke's with a 312 Y block & brazed drivers side mani'. . Maybe 60 or 61... him, Don H & I took it down to Long Beach & getting through Portland the brass rolled out & from then on we inhaled whatever that old Y block put out. Got it black & painted powder blue for the up coming shows. Sold it to Pat Clarke & then Terry Stokes & then it headed north to Stewart?? Never seen since.

This thread RULES! I can't believe how many cool cars there were in Canada! I would love to own an old hot rod sometime. In the meantime I guess I will have to continue building my "new" hot rod that just looks like an old hot rod...
On page 13 there was a 34 pickup with ribbon paint. I'm pretty sure it was on Edmonton kijiji last summer. How many ribbon painted 34 ford pickups can there be?

Do either of you Pat or Keith, remember a custom 56 Merc in the New West area in the 50s/60s called the "Purple People Eater"? Packard tailights - beautiful car.

Let's not forget the T Bird Deuce that's featured in the latest Canadian Hot Rods. Article (Ahem) by yours truly.LOL. Was in Michigan last week and actually touched the car for the first time in years. The third owner was able to buy the car back and he'll be bringing it home to Canada in a few weeks. Watch for a follow up in the next CHR

Dicks32in1970-Copy1.jpg

1964LondonAutoShow-1.jpg

OByrniewilloughbyroadster1.jpg

Do either of you Pat or Keith, remember a custom 56 Merc in the New West area in the 50s/60s called the "Purple People Eater"? Packard tailights - beautiful car.

56Tbird

Yup, I remember the Purple People Eater....Maybe it was a 54 Merc convertible with extended rear fenders, skirts and scallops on the side.
I think in one BCCCA show it had a TV in the trunk.
There is a photo of it on the BC Hot Rod Assn 50th anniversary site.
I think the owner moved to Prince George and was a barber here, but the name eludes me.

I never saw it on the street, only in shows.

47 convert

the story on that roadster is just too cool. Love the black and white photo.
What direction does the new/old owner plan to take with the car ??

passing along ...."looking at the can rodder stuff , the purple people was a 55 merc. conv. and is still alive (barely) in surrey and may get restored one day"

Hey Al, thanks for filling in the blanks for us. I know a lot of the history, but don't know everything and am always interested in learning more. Pat.

47 convert

the story on that roadster is just too cool. Love the black and white photo.
What direction does the new/old owner plan to take with the car ??

Well the "new/old owner" is actually now the third and the seventeenth I think. He's going to drive it like it is for a while while we continue to collect as much documentation as we can with a good possibility that the car might someday be returned to it's original Hot Rod configuration. Who knows what changes the car might have gone through even if he had kept it all this time? We're hoping to unveil the car at Steve Plunkett's Fleetwood show this summer. One interesting thing is we were able to find the original bobbed rear fenders that were on the car when t was first built. They had been sold to a collecter when the car was first modified into the more contemporary street rod it is now. It retains the origianl dropped and chromed axle that was on the car in 1955 as well as the deuce wishbones and the 35 Ford rear wishbones even though the Banjo rear end has been replaced with an early Olds. It's really an amazing story and a lot of detective work not to mention a ton of luck. We'd love to fingd a set of early Wells Foundry wheels like John installed on the car in 1963 but hey might be a little harder to come up with. They look similar to big window Halibrands but I don't think there was a lip around the openings. There's a set of these on the "Wild Child" Falcon that came out of the London area as well. We'd be real happy to even borrow a wheel to see if we could get some cast.

Last edited:

There was also a 54 Ford tudor with Packard tailights in the Queensborough area. On the North side of the bridge, it sat at a gas station for a long time. Maybe he worked there.

Last edited:
Brian, the mopar hardtop belonged to Bruce Smith. The same guy I think that had a sectioned shoebox coupe up until a short while ago.
Here is an oldie that belonged to Bert Straiton. It was known as the Hairy Canary. Bert is still building cars and has a nice Henry J, also yellow. The Hairy Canary is back on the street. The first pic is from the 1967 Vancouver show.

Van67BertStraitonsHairyCanaryWillys.jpg

This is a pic of it now.

SL731941.jpg

Someone mentioned Jim on a drag thread. Here is an article or 2 and some pics. Pretty famous west coast car, the Canadian.

IMG_7428.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

While we are on a performance theme. How about Glen Morrow, from the Burnaby Dragons and the Iron Termite. Was a show and go car. Glen still owns it. Was featured in show coverage in Car Craft.

GlennMorrow.jpg

glenmorrow_jpg.jpg

goodtimescruiseinn043.jpg

One last performance car. Bob Kokotello's Henry J in the 67 Vancouver car show. It was a regular on the track at Mission. It was wrecked once and rebuilt. The new version wasn't a duplicate. I think the family still has the car.

Van67KokotellasHenryJ.jpg

Someone mentioned Jim on a drag thread. Here is an article or 2 and some pics. Pretty famous west coast car, the Canadian.

IMG_7421.jpg

Pat, this race car sat at the bottom of the hill ,going up to Barnhartvale (Kamloops) in the early eighties. I didn't know who owned it.

The Dart looks a lot like the car Don Garlits ran for a little while. Must have been a wild ride! Neat

Jim is still around & living on the north side of the Fraser...VERY active & running his '35 cabrio with a blown flatty (best in the world) on the street & '32 roadster at Bonneville. Good guy & love the history via NW races, old Mission, Arlington, Pyallup ( there was a strip there long b4 GG's) & ALWAYS the Canadian on the side.

hotrod mags

i am new so iam a bit cautious i live by lacombe and am in arizona i have acess to good guys mags and 4or 5 boxes of streetrod mags etc. i will bring some back in april if people want they are free from a car collector friend bruce

32 hiboy

You need to come home from the sunbelt and post up some articles you may find in those old mags. Have fun....and, oh yeah, welcome to our site.....:)