Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

The above car was built by Gary Sturmer in the late '50's. It's now in the southern states Florida or Georgia? U.S. guys love Cdn built hot rods! I'm told by "lurkers" that Gary is still very involved & in his '70's & recently completed a chopped black primed '32 hi boy coupe!! Good stuff all around!!

Lurkers like Art B.?:D

Brian, Art would remember the first cars wouldn't he and not just the first Hot Rods, he would be history on his own :D:D,

Yea come on Art how about showing yourself here and your nice ride.

No art's too busy arranging travel/booking shows etc. just a couple of busy shy guys.

Here are some pics of Ron Farmers rod over the years. Ron still has a little British panel hot rod or did have in the late 90's.

RonFarmerAroadsterpickupinthe60s.jpg

Frank Kish later owned the car when it was blue. I tracked this one down for Frank in 1997. It was in Lumby, just outside of Vernon. It still exists.

040t.jpg

040s.jpg

040r.jpg

040q.jpg

040m.jpg

040k.jpg

Did he say what happened to the car? I know a guy named Ken Hemstock who i think lived in Duncun? who has a blue 3-window that looks close to that, wonder if it is the same one? Anyone know Kenny on the island??

Could this blue coupe be the one Howard Wares owns at Hundred Mile, BC?

Gary Sturmer also built a beautiful black, 33-34 Ford Fordoor with a filled roof. Can't remember, but may have been running a flathead. Pat.

Frank Kish!! Wow, late '50's in the BCHRA meetings in central park! Long, long time ago!!! Still around Pat?? Same with Don Mowatt (sp?)...his Dad was a cop in Vancouver. Lived across Kingsway from the Pub/hotel, same name.

Last edited:
Could this blue coupe be the one Howard Wares owns at Hundred Mile, BC?

Pat

Howard told me he has owned his '33 since 1955 !!!!

So, couldn't be the same car, Cliff bought it when he was going
to trade school at BCIT in the 60's froma guy from the Island, who
was also going to school.

Good to know Keith. I didn't realize Howard has had the coupe that long.
Al, I think Frank Kish is still around. He was a member of the Shifters Car Club when he owned Ron's old hot rod. He was a member of the BC Hot Rod Association when I moved in 98. I don't know the other guy you mentioned. Pat.

Pat ,that pic of the car hauler is amazing! So much history on one truck.

I love that red bucket.

A guy in Kamloops claimed he owned that purplish Dodge hardtop for a while. Showed me pics of it in the early eighties.

No art's too busy arranging travel/booking shows etc. just a couple of busy shy guys.

I am having trouble picturing Art as being shy, good guy, but i don't think of him as being shy. I do agree that he is busy though.

Art has done a lot to help the BCHRA get things done and stay active.:D:D

What a great thread! If anyone ever had doubts about the quality of Canadian Hot Rods they should visit this post.

I am heading over to a buddies this week to "borrow" some more 50's 60's books as I have now powered out on mine !!!:):)

This IS special. Getting ready for World of Wheels show in Calgary and got thinking about all time greats. Googled Welsh's '40 and here you are! I lived in New West and was at the car show above too in the parkade!!! memories!!

2007 photo of the car. Kinda a shame.......................

scan0002-2.jpg

Great shot of Syndicate Scuderia - how well I remember this running down at Arlington, Wa. We were all such proud Canadians when Jack ran.

Here are a couple of pics I took in the early 70's, pre 74, of the hemi powered A roadster mentioned earlier, when it was green in color and owned by a friend of mine, Lance Staines. He painted it yellow and sold it off, don't know where it went.

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0018-2.jpg

Brian, here is a pic of the 36 ford 5 window that Bill Refuse ended up with. I think I took this in the Okanagan in about 1971. It was yellow at the time. When Bill owned it the color was blue. One identifying piece is the bump on the bottom of the front fender for the exhaust dumps. Pat.

scan0013.jpg

I just scanned some more old photos so I have more of some cars already mentioned. This is the hemi powered A that Lorne Kerr recently rebuilt. This pic is from about 1970-71 and Harold Grocott owned it then. Look how young Gary Pickard and Bob Wharton are in the pic. Pat.

scan0007.jpg

This all chrome model A frame was owned by Frank Elliot and appeared in several Car Craft mags in the 60's in the show coverage. Last I heard it was still around. Pat.

scan0012.jpg