Demolition Derbies at Callister Park in Vancover

Ford_Fellow

The old Callister Park soccer stadium in Vancouver was located on Renfrew Street, next to the PNE grounds and directly across the street from the then -new Pacific Coliseum. Callister was an all wood, semi-enclosed structure, that was built in 1921, and was torn down starting in the fall of 1970 -to make way for a new grassed-over city park.

We car-people remember it fondly for the four and a half action packed seasons that it was used by the Satellites Motor sport Club to host great Demolition Derbies - from Saturday, July 23rd, 1966, through Saturday , September 19th, 1970

It is funny that certain types of vehicles are found over time to have a particular strong suit that they excel at - even though their manufacture never designed them for that purpose.
Demolition Derbies were no different than other forms of motor sport in that respect. Of all the mid to late 1950's cars, while the 55-57 Chevrolet's were the cars to beat at the drag strip, and in stock car racing - it was the Fords, and in particular, the big Mercury's that absolutely ruled over the Demolition Derby world!

This was forwarded to me by Mel's34 CR member.... Thanks Mel...

Pictures to follow....

1966-1.jpg

1966-2.jpg

1966-3.jpg

1966-4.jpg

1967-7.jpg

1967-8.jpg

1967-9.jpg

1968-1.jpg

Oh that little 56 was mint and perfect shape and even has Fireball Roberts Nascar race number on it's door..

1970-4.jpg

1970-5.jpg

Not sure if kin read post and see...

1970-6-article.jpg

These pictures were sent to me by Mel's 34 and are much appreciated..

Thanks Mel ........... Hugh......

Last edited:
Some good old pics there Mel Via Hugh, man they were too flash down under to wreck like that, hahahaha, but I remember the 1956 Humber Super Snipe was the thing to use down here, they had a strong straight 6, and a long way back to the radiator with a real strong chassis.

I guess that is one thing that made these cars so collectable eh.

Thanks for the pics, man some of those have hit hard.

Thanx for posting those Hughie!I had been there a time or two when I was a pup.I barely remember but i know my dad took me cause I just loved the derbies,still do!

I used to run derbies all the time at Western over here on the Island. Won a few times too.
We have derbies at my place from time to time too. Theres one comin up pretty quick here:D

Do you know who this derby duo team consists of?

race030.jpg

-Shiny

boy do those pictures bring back a lot of memories---never raced there but use to go watch all the time---they sure tore up a lot of good metal---thanks Mel:D for the pics and Hugh for postin them

shiny,... if there was a way i'd be at the next one in a minute pal !!.... yer hospitality is as always,... second to no one!!!............

Do you know who this derby duo team consists of?

That's got to be the man with the Yellow truck and the little cornholer his self, don't you love the look of consentration on both their faces.

Neat pic there Shiney, thanks