EV hot rodding

I have been drooling over this concept for over a year now. Imagine, electric engine the size of a watermelon pulling 435 hp with a power RPM range of 0 to 18,000rpm. The total engine, transmission, and rear end are the size of an IRS rear member and mount with 4 mounting bolts and 2 shockwave air bags. Then, there is all that space under the body behind the splash aprons to hide the battery packs.... If you use the front electric motor and subframe unit, you can bump it up to 693 hp....... A doner Tesla P100D is a 10 second quarter mile car..........

Russ

I've wondered the same, say a retrofit kit for a pickup truck with the battery packs between the frame rails under the bed. A Tesla Model S is pushing 5000 lb even with an all-aluminum body, so it would be interesting to see the net curb weight of a classic with the engine, transmission, and driveshaft removed in favour of a large battery pack and 1 or 2 lightweight motors.

Electric hot rods are coming a lot sooner than you think. The sheer power and performance is staggering. Check the attached video of the young guy that put a Tesla performance motor/trans/diff unit in an old Honda. Imagine this in a widened model A body?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhwl-Skxdzo

Russ

There was a local youngster, 16, who was restoring an 1960's Triumph Spitfire with an electric motor in it as a shop project in high school.

Last edited:
I would love a electric model a coupe with hugely wide tires on all four corners, giant brakes, AWD, trick suspension.
It’d be the polar opposite of my traditional coupe and cost 4x to build :D

This is a great story, kudos to this high school and the shop teacher. I wish more schools would encourage shop classes.

When I was in Kingman AZ at the powerhouse museum they had a section that was all ev power,dragster ,hotrod motor bikes, old and new cars. There was about 40 displays

seen on the news they are going to retro fit some beaver aircraft that fly from vancouver to victoria with electric motors..
:eek: