drop axle info

nomadsland71

20170626_203628_zpsa3ri4nng.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Does anyone know who makes this axle? just looking for info Thanks
20170528_180810_zpshx2vj42h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Helix/Hoffman. (Chinese knock-off junk!).

I agree, the Hoffman stuff is bad and I avoid them.

But, that's a pretty wide brush there, I would guess that 80% of all consumer products are now made in China, maybe not a true "knock-off" but my Chinese rotisserie is well made (and cheaper of course). I have a musician friend who is buying "knock-off" electric guitars and the build quality and sound is better than excellent and as good as the original, so much so, that other musicians can not tell the difference.

Not saying its a good thing, just the way it is, laws of supply and demand.
:)

So Cal sells a forged heat treated dropped I Beam axle if that is any help

Last edited:
tap it with a hammer , the sound it makes will tell you right away if it's cast or forged .

oldmerc............could you please elaborate on this method of determining the difference between cast and forged material. Thanks.

Bgbkwndo.

look at the mold parting lines . If they are a sharp thin line you likely have a casting . If they are wider you likely have a forging . Casting molds must touch in order to seal in the molten metal . Drop forging dies must not touch or they will be destroyed . The axle in the picture looks to be cast as the metal shows a surface that mirrors a sand casting mold . Forgings generally have a smoother surface . I could be wrong as I can not see the parting line in any of the pictures.

I would think the original axles were hit in an upsetter. bump up the ends and hit one side at a time . If you look at an original axle the webb is thicker at the ends/ bends then the middle