Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

47 convert

Thanks for sharing photos !!! More please !!!

By the way your article in Canadian Hot Rods on the Ontario '32 was top notch. :):)

Sept 1963 Car Craft. '33 3 Window. Anyone know anything about this nice car???
From Port Alberni, BC

scan0017-1.jpg

Sounds a lot better than Pipe! This thing went well over 100MPH in the quarter so it took some balls to drive it. The driver in the pic is Mike Soullierre. Mike worked for me for a few years. Terrific group of guys.

Don't know where it is, but it was one of my favorites back in the early sixties at the PNE car shows.

Ross Giles used to talk about a coupe in a garage in North Van. His description was the same as this coupe. Don't know if it is the same car, but it sure sounded like it, we would talk about it quite a bit when discussing cars from North Van. before he passed away. The guy was just happy to have it and never drove it or would sell it.

Here's another great Windsor Hot Rod from the 50s. This car was originally built in Belle River (where I live now) by a guy named Denomme - no relation to Terry as far as we know, with a Cadillac engine. Then it was redone by Andy Cunningham and Larry Agla with a Holman & Moody 427 Tunnel Port Ford and paint by another friend of mine Pat Pilon who happened to be one of the owners of the deuce roadster that was in the latest Canadian Hot Rods article. What a ride! The car was featured in the September '72 Rod & Custom Detroit Nationals edition. R&C Editor Bud Bryan fell in love with the car and pestered Andy to do a photo shoot but poor Bud didn't know how paranoid Andy was about getting the car wet or dirty and rain was on the way. The next day Bud sat in the car and refused to move until Andy returned and went through with the shoot.

Andys342.jpg

Andys341.jpg

Do you want to see more pics of the DesJardins' bros cars? And others from their club? These cars weren't in magazines but neat cars from the day. I did a Canadian Hot Rods article on their club "The Tecumseh Push Rods" back in March/April 2008

Last edited:
Tecumseh Push Rods

OK, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here though. The first two pics are of Ted Kwiatkowski's 34 then one of Roy DesJardins' 32 roadster (later oened by Billy Moore) notice the curved glass windshield! Paul Marion's chopped Chevy and a garage scene (meeting?) Enjoy!
TKcoupe.jpg

SoulierreKwiatkowskiCayuga.jpg

RoyDesjardinsBillyMoorefullfendered.jpg

RDesjardinsPaulMarionJoeStLouischop.jpg

PushRodsMeetingCarsareRoys40Chev-1.jpg

GaragesceneroadsteratthePushRodssho.jpg

Great photos, and no you are not highjacking my thread. This is all related stuff.
It is interesting as I go through my Hot Rod Mag collection that when I start to reach into the mid to late 60's, how the content and "feel" of the magazine is. Lots of ads from the Big Three advertising muscle cars....and lots of drags and off road coverage. Hot rods were slipping away. Then Rod and Custom and Car Craft dissapeared, I dunno, was it midlate sixties....?
One other note of interest, in all the mags, I notice we had two contributors to Peterson publications who lived in Washington and Oregon. BC cars were easy to access for photo shoots, etc.
In Ontario and other parts of Canada I don't think the coverage was a broad at the time. As well, BC and Alberta guys could get in their cars and be in california in 2 Days, and down to Tijuana for upholstery !!!!

More coming up !

Fordnutz the colour was candy blue with white interior and white on the roof.I will try and post coloured pictures if I can find them,of before and after.I know where there is a large one but I dont think Bob Larrvee (not sure how to spell his last name)would let me have it,as it is in his office.In Detroit,as he was the one who started Cobo Hall car show.

Stan I will try and get out some of the old pictures and than I have to learn how to post them. The truck was sold to a fellow in Toronto and he pulled the 283 Chev engine and was putting in an Olds and that is the last we heard of the truck. Ken tryed to find it but no one has seen or heard of it.We heared he had hacked the frame up pretty good.
Homer

..Thanks Homer, I always like to hear/find history on neat old hot rods. Perhaps it may jog someones memory bank on here .... be great if the truck resurfaced.....
Stan. ........

...More on the Pineapple Princess....I took this photo in 1978. It was sitting in a front yard just north of Yorkton, Sask. It was for sale along with the other gems in the picture. I stopped because I was interested in buying it. But apparently I didn't look like a hot rodder that day. He didn't want to talk to me or even uncover it to have a look.... I snapped a picture and left..... I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the car was now south of the border.......
Stan. ................

img016.jpg

Does anyone know if this car is the same one from the magazine article. This was taken at the 67 Vancouver car show. This 3-window has a front bumper. I would like to know who owned it. Pat.

Van67.jpg

I just looked closely at the 2 cars again and the one in the article is a 33. The red one is a 34. Close, but no cigar. Still, who owned it? Pat.

Cars in US mags

One more BC car from Victoria I think can't remember which book or year

scan0072.jpg

Fergie, I have that mag in my pile to scan. Will do so tomorrow !!

Fergie, here is the back of that car. It was from Victoria and supposedly burnt in a fire. It was in a Rod and Custom or Car Craft in 62 or 63 going by the car's plate. Pat.

scan0073.jpg