Early Sun Tachs and Transmitter instructions.

LORYDER

Ok Boys this is for you guys.
l compiled here some info about these these Sun tachs and the transmitters because l have a couple of them.
So there's copies here of instuctions and pictures to help shed some light on this subject for some people.
Plus its not easy finding this stuff.

1-1.jpg

rc_wire.jpg

Wiring for the Trasmitter

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

If you look l have the replacement battery for the Sun 1766-7....1.35
volts to the Duracell Mercury battery RM 12 R ...1.35 volts.

7.jpg

Heres the back of the tach.

Suntach.jpg

Heres a link to my photobucket account where you can view a bunch more early vintage sun tachs and transmitters.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1... TACHOMETER/

SUNTACHOMETERTRANSMITTEREB-2A6CY-7.jpg

Last edited:
thanks rick ! do you know of a source for 6v tachs? or can you buy and old model and get a 6v transmitter

What you will have to do is find one on E-bay or at the swapmeets. When you do find an old one, make sure it has the transmitter and its the one that match's,the tach.Or if you do find a tach make sure its an easy transmitter to find for the tach.ln your case l would only buy them as complete unit, it will save you a lot of trouble trying to find the right one. Or carry a piece of paper around with you with the right info on what you want.

Have a look on E-bay there's a few on there that are complete and there starting to ask alot more money for them these days.
l guess thats what happens when things get old and eveyone wants one now to put into there old hotrod...:(

Good info there, I had found all this earlier and tagged as favourites.
Wonder why the sending unit needs the special battery ???
In regards to finding these tachometers Ebay is the place. Just bought a 5000RPM, red football, good chrome and pinch cup, with a sending unit for $100 U.S., shipping is another $30.
The sending unit I need is a EB 2A, I think the one i bought is a EB 7A....which makes it for a 3 cylinder, 2 cycle SAAB ????
Several to choose from on the auction site all the time.

I have a old Sun and transmitter laying in a box here somewhere...I should dig it out.....Thanks for the info.....:cool:

There is an article in the latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe (May/2010) on a shop that is revamping old Sun tachs using updated internals, making the module unnecessary....of course, no mention of the cost:)

the co doing the work:
www.autoinstruments.com

James