Mentors project

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
Hi thought some of you might like to see a project that a very good friend and mentor has taken on. Its a 70 cyclone spoiler 429 4spd factory dragpack car, but it has led a VERY hard life. He is in the process of bringing it back to life. BIG job. Jobs like these make a fella feel real good about his own rusty projects!

anyway heres some pics... beginning with just a few of the many issues that have to be dealt with...

CIMG2909.jpg

CIMG2911.jpg

CIMG2912.jpg

CIMG2935.jpg

CIMG2938.jpg

CIMG2940.jpg

CIMG2958.jpg

CIMG2959.jpg

CIMG2942.jpg

Last edited:
Some serious time will be needed to fix this car. Being what it is though, its worth every minute.

Sorry some of these are a little out of focus but you can get the idea

CIMG2914.jpg

CIMG2915.jpg

CIMG2916.jpg

CIMG2944.jpg

A factory weld and there are lots of them like this.. how did it pass on line inspection?

CIMG2953.jpg

CIMG2970.jpg

Not much is available for this car in aftermarket panels so everything has to be removed and repaired then replaced!

CIMG2971.jpg

CIMG2972.jpg

CIMG2973.jpg

CIMG2966.jpg

CIMG2967.jpg

CIMG2968.jpg

CIMG2974.jpg

CIMG2975.jpg

CIMG2994.jpg

CIMG2997.jpg

CIMG2980.jpg

CIMG3017.jpg

CIMG3001.jpg

SA550146.jpg

SA550147.jpg

Proof of how nasty those metal maggots can be... tuff to get all the rust without removing panels or dipping, even then tuff!

SA550139.jpg

SA550145.jpg

Last edited:
CIMG3090.jpg

CIMG3100.jpg

SA550131.jpg

SA550134.jpg

the quarter panel was so badly repaired the wheel house needed lots of reshaping although it is not bad for rust.
SA550141.jpg

Last edited:
Man what a big job there Bash, it's good to see you only pull on the quick small jobs mate. Friggin amazing.

That is a project I look forward to seeing progress.

It looks like that car was in the hands of true :rolleyes:"KrAfTsMeNn" :eek:before your buddy took over. Very nice, thorough metalwork to state the obvious.

restoration

i,m curious why you would take the car down to not much more than a skeleton,wouldn,t that be a wobboly mess trying to get everything to line up?

i,m curious why you would take the car down to not much more than a skeleton,wouldn,t that be a wobboly mess trying to get everything to line up?

The car is a unibody and the panels that are off are just skins offering little in the structural design of the car. The structural in this case comes from all the framework you see behind the skins of say the quarter panels and also the sills and rockers etc, you will notice that all that is still intact. Removing and replacing the skins also allows for a better realignment of the panel as the fit on this car was terrible. If one was to be removing more of that structure things would have to be braced as you would with the chopping of a roof of a rod. Of course with the replacement of the panels there is a lot of measuring and fitting that has to be done before it is actually welded back in place. Plus as I said very little is available for this car and to do a proper lasting job the panels had to be removed, checked and repaired to insure they are rust free. I hope that makes sense?

:)Bash

Last edited:
CIMG3020.jpg

this panel was rusted in the trunk seal lip so it had to be replaced with one off another car which also had to be repaired but not as bad as the original, then it was prepped and epoxied readied for fitting and replacement.
CIMG3038.jpg

the masacred door latch from a previous pic was cut out and refit with piece from a Torino door which had to be modified as it turned out to be different.
CIMG3039.jpg

CIMG3042.jpg

SA550252.jpg

SA550253.jpg

SA550254.jpg

SA550255.jpg

SA550257.jpg

the outter skin of the door needed some attention as well
CIMG3040.jpg

SA550256.jpg

I will have to download some more pic to the bucket tonight...

:)Bash

Last edited:
My first thought was i am glad i am not paying for the labor for this. And is it realy worth saving?

very nice,there is no way in hell i would try that...im pretty sure when i would be fiished,i would be standing back looking at it and saying "yep that there is some mighty fine work i did here....i wonder where this part goes"
my hat goes off to you.