Photobucket nonsense

I was chatting to an acquaintance yesterday about this latest PB stunt, and he had a very different outlook on this whole thing. It goes like this.

So the owner of the CR site doesn't want to provide bandwidth enabling the direct posting of photos. Yet he expects another site to provide this service for free thus enabling his site to be able to show photos. Is that right?

So I said, yes, I guess that's about right.

He just said, "Think about that for awhile."

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger. :(

I don't believe Frank "expects" anything from PB, and there are no fee's to be in this community so how can anyone "expect" him to carry any further costs for further bandwidth?

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with PB as a result of this, I have gone back and deleted all my photos and albums but it was no easy feat. Thanks PB it's been nice knowing ya.. b bye!

Last edited:
...I haven't gotten any notice from PB .. yet. ... I have 2 separate accounts there. I can still save pictures from there to my computer, but won't let me post a picture here. PB is, up until now, the only the only site I have been using. Obviously that will change and I will say goodbye to PB...... Every picture I put in there, I still have in my computer. .... And for only $2.49 a month you can make those gawd awful popups go away. .... I will guess that a lot of people will say goodbye to them. ........
Stan. ........

Last edited:
Photobucket makes millions from the pop up ads and others plus subscriptions.
Frank makes nothing. About 10 advertisers on here whose contribution is very very small in relation to things.

Photobucket makes millions from the pop up ads and others plus subscriptions.
Frank makes nothing. About 10 advertisers on here whose contribution is very very small in relation to things.

I understand that completely. It was just an opinion that was expressed to me by another party. Like I said, Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.

Although I have also read that PB has been losing money hand over fist lately, which is very likely why this recent change has come about. In most cases with Google advertising, you have to click on an ad for it to generate any income for either Google or the site which you are looking at, which in this case would be PB.

Just because an ad pops up, it doesn't necessarily generate any money for anyone. Google's algorithms are set up so that any ads appearing on your screen, are related to your recent searches. When you click on an ad, Google makes money and the site makes a small portion of that.

Trust me, I am NOT on the side of PB here in any way. I think if anything, that they should have allowed the current subscribers to maintain their links, and somehow altered their future requirements to apply only to the photos loaded to their site after the date of inception of their new policy. It shouldn't have been that difficult to do with modern computer technology.

Obviously, they did not choose to do that. And from what I can gather from the general populace, they are making more enemies by the day. I don't see them remaining in business under the current business model for too much longer.

Like yourself, I am out of PB.

And for the record, I have NO complaints about the way Frank runs his website.

I was checking an old thread, Canadian Cars in US mags in 50's and 60's, and most of the history/old photos is all gone. Links are all broken.

Yup....all my photos missing from our posts.

I switched to Imgur 6 weeks ago......no problems there.......:)

I have been getting those messages from P/B for quite a while, so I went back and deleted a lot of the photos. As Keith said they make a lot of dollars from pop ups.

I don't have Chrome downloaded yet. Maybe later this evening I'll find the time.

There is no way you are going to be able to download chrome into your 1912 Mac, it uses digital bit technology, not a hand crank. :)

Some kinda voodoo magic, all the pictures are coming back !!!! BUT !!! You can only see the pics if you run Google chrome with the extension, I logged out of Chrome and back in using Internet Explorer and no pictures again.

Last edited:
Maybe when we find the best picture hosting site, we should make it a sticky as well as any quirks to post pictures there and leave Photobucket in the past.

Russ

Maybe when we find the best picture hosting site, we should make it a sticky as well as any quirks to post pictures there and leave Photobucket in the past.

Russ

Russ, Keith up in P.G. has had success with Imgur I do believe, so that's one option. I'm fairly certain there are others as well.

Thanks very much to Cranks38 for the hotlink fix.

I'm sure, much to Ray's surprise, I was able to d/l Chrome and the hotlink fix.

Most, but not all, of the pics I have posted are working now. But only if I am using Chrome as my browser. Better than nothing.

My pleasure, coco. (I hope it's a lasting cure!)

The photographic history of many boards and forums are lost to cyberspace if the "work around" fails to hold water. :mad:

I set up a WordPress Blog of the build of my coupe a couple of years ago. Found that I could "Right Click" on a picture in it and left click on "Copy Image Address".

Next step go to the forum that I want to post the picture when generating a message and click on the "Insert Image" icon in the posting and "Paste" the image address:

image1.jpg

The picture doesn't show up until you either Preview your message or Submit.

Not saying this is the answer for everyone, but it seems to work. Blog site is free and can be used for may things. Doesn't take up room on the forum web site.

Canuck

Last edited: