Car Stolen in Calgary

I agree Ray.........."interesting" circumstances and aftermath...

Oh, sorry Lee, the Kijiji posting just didn't add up to me, that's all.

I will try and curb my opinionated alter ego in the future.
Yeah, if this thing has been gone long enough for the seats to have ben upholstered, something is fishy...Maybe a payment schedule gone south, or ????

Oh, sorry Lee, the Kijiji posting just didn't add up to me, that's all.

I will try and curb my opinionated alter ego in the future.

NP Just trying to help a guy out, I sent him a message that I would post his ad on a hotrod forum, he didn't reply, so maybe something IS fishy. I just hate scumbags that steal shit

Well that was a strange thread,someone posted about their car project being stolen much like the Willys recently in B.C. but instead of the outpouring of support the willys guy got and offers to help he got nothing but random comments that did little to help..wonder what the difference was?:confused:

This was an obscure ad placed on Kiijii Calgary and seemingly no where else.
The Willys was a social media storm because of facebook.
I have read the ad several times and it is certainly confusing.....regarding the upholsterer and the bodyman (?). He was invited to provide further info to our site but did not.

In any event he has it back and hopefully undamaged.

Both thefts were "strange" occurences in my view.

Here is the info that was forwarded to the Cruisin Classics............
Update on 52 Riviera was found stripped in a ditch by Lyalta

I haven't seen any indication that the police were notified of this theft yet. In the Kijiji ad it appears that there are two cars side by side at Lyalta. I wonder if this is a regular dumping spot for someone?

I haven't seen any indication that the police were notified of this theft yet. In the Kijiji ad it appears that there are two cars side by side at Lyalta. I wonder if this is a regular dumping spot for someone?

The Kijiji post that looks like two cars is just the posters inability to post pictures. His first ad when it was stolen had a bunch of horrible pictures as well. Something is definitely weird about this whole thing.

The Kijiji post that looks like two cars is just the posters inability to post pictures. His first ad when it was stolen had a bunch of horrible pictures as well. Something is definitely weird about this whole thing.

Oh yes, now I see. It's the same car twice in the same photo.

Well that was a strange thread,someone posted about their car project being stolen much like the Willys recently in B.C. but instead of the outpouring of support the willys guy got and offers to help he got nothing but random comments that did little to help..wonder what the difference was?:confused:

As Keith has noted, it was a Facebook feeding frenzy for the Willys.

But look who posted the ad...J.F.Launier asking his friends to be on the lookout for the Willys. And then look at the Willys compared to the Buick. Let's face it...JF has pull in the custom car world.

The Willys could have been driven somewhere under its' own power, but wasn't, whereas the Buick didn't appear to be anywhere near running. The Buick has that '49 Merc look to it, kinda neat really.

In the custom world, Buick hoods from that year are valuable as many would like to mimic the sculptured lines onto their own other early 50's GM's hoods.

Buick hoods can be modified quite easily to fit or the reveals can be cut and patch in.

And of course, you need the front quarters too as the reveal lines continue underneath the headlight brows.

I've seen photos of a few 51-52 Chevs with the Buick Hood sculpture and the look is quite unique and distinctive.

Last edited:
In the custom world, Buick hoods from that year are valuable as many would like to mimic the sculptured lines onto their own other early 50's GM's hoods.

Buick hoods can be modified quite easily to fit or the reveals can be cut and patch in.

And of course, you need the front quarters too as the reveal lines continue underneath the headlight brows.

I've seen photos of a few 51-52 Chevs with the Buick Hood sculpture and the look is quite unique and distinctive.

Well, that is quite interesting I must say.

I did take the time to look up about the early series named "Riviera", sometimes Super Riviera, or Riviera Super. It seems that the General built these early Riviera's for several years...I think the latest one I found was '55 or '56.

The later Riviera's, which we all know and love, came about as a result of a competition between GM divisions to come up with a competitor for Fords Thunderchicken. Buick obviously won that one and revived the old Riviera name which they already had in their arsenal.

The "new" Riviera had no connection at all with the earlier version other than the name. It was a ground up build from scratch with the all new sharp lines. Apparently, a Rolls Royce was a good part of the inspiration for the new Buick design.