Fender-less Rods operation on BC Roads - Update

351CFalcon

Supporting Member
Hopefully not "stealing" anyones thunder but this is good news for BC Rodders.
Just received this e-mail update:

Following on our committee's invitation to provide an update on this initiative to the SVABC Annual General Meeting, we have received a number of requests for information.
Attached is a summary of the activities to date and how close we are to success.

Dan London - (on behalf of)
The Fender-less Committee - Jim Winter, Rick Ross, Art Brumpton, Keith Biddlecombe.

Fender-less Rods Legal on B.C. Roads?
An update on the progress of this initiative – April, 2015

Background
A small group of dedicated hobbyists has been quietly working for the past eight years to implement changes to provincial rules
which would permit the operation of fender less vehicles on British Columbia roads.
Bill Townsend, Rick Ross and Jim Winter began the concept with research on experience in other jurisdictions operating a “fair weather” provision.
In addition, several thousand signatures were obtained for a petition to provincial authorities.
In 2009 Dan London was asked to join the group to assist communicating to and working with respective provincial government agencies.
In 2010, British Columbia Hot Rod Association past President Art Brumpton and current President Keith Biddlecombe joined the group.
Over the past five years, the group has worked closely with Mr. Perry Dennis, Deputy Director, Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement, Ministry of Transportation to address and resolve areas of concern.

Meetings and presentations were made to address;
vehicle construction safety – Ministry of Transportation - CVSE Branch
licensing and insurance – Ministry of Transportation – I.C.B.C.
public safety - Provincial Association of Police Chiefs
public liability – Ministry of Attorney General
These agencies has recommended implementation of a “fair weather” clause to permit operation of fender less vehicles – based on the proposals from “the fender-less committee”.

Where are we today
Following on the above recommendations, the Legislative Counsel Office is working to prepare regulatory wording
for the operation of fender-less vehicles based on the following criteria:
Ø A 1940 or earlier manufactured vehicle or a 1940 or earlier replicated vehicle
Ø Modified registered vehicle
Ø Dry paved road operation only

More to come.

Dan London
dw_lond@yahoo.ca
For the ”Fender-less Committee”
Jim Winter, Rick Ross, Art Brumpton, Keith Biddlecombe

Last edited:
Absolutely good news....now we just have to go through the various hurdles to etch it in stone...... soon I hope !:)

Good on the guys that have been driving forward on it, and good on the reps from the various departments for finally being receptive to the changes .

Do we have an estimated time for when this will be a done deal ? :confused:

I am approaching the time when I will need to decide to build removable cycle fenders..... or not.

I would rather not as I know I can get my car inspected and road ready without them for Alberta.

My concern is having to possibly add them to a finished and painted car when I move to Vancouver Island in about 4 years time.

BCHRA members such as 1bad56 and myself will post up fresh info as we receive it.
Be patient, as this will still take some time to process.
This initiative has been ongoing since well before Deucedays 2013. During Deucedays, police
forces were asked to relax fenderless infractions in view of the considerable traffic coming from the US.

Last edited:
Thanks, and the BC SVA now has an Alberta member. :)

I hope to see some movement on getting this into legislation soon as it is encouraging to see the authorities approving of it.

Thanks for everyone's efforts.