Kijiji classic ????

Of course its a 'classic' ... its over 25 years old ... :rolleyes:
You hardly ever see one on the road anymore ... :rolleyes:
We can probably see twice as many of the 'classic' K cars as Chevettes on the road ... :D

Its probably 'ALL ORIGIONAL' ... since its so hard to fit a BIG BLOCK under the hood ... :rolleyes:

LMFAO

....happens all the time because Kijiji refuses to restrict access to bonafide 'classics'. The 25 year rule doesn't work either and when you take the time to flag something as 'miscategorized', nobody looks at it to throw it into the correct category. In the Ontario Kijiji, I've seen as much as 30-40% miscategorized (cars 2010,2011, parts, newer trucks, beggars looking for free cars, people looking for cars for a wedding shoot, snowmobile trades, and other crap). As long as the ad revenue comes in, they won't care.....

Kijiji is getting just as bad as Ebay. You're searching for a 1940 Ford and instead you get a mix of other vehicles (mostly newer ones) included in the results.

Who'd ever thought a Chevette would ever be considered a classic?. Oddly enough, I did see one at the classic car show in Oshawa last summer. In fact it belonged to the husband of one of their councillors. :rolleyes:

I have seen the old Chrysler K-cars popping up at these shows. I owned one myself and never thought I'd see the day when one of these cars would be on display at a show. Most of the ones I've been seeing are the rag top versions with the wood trim. Last year I saw a circa 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue selling at one of the shows for some ridiculous price.

Of course its a 'classic' ... its over 25 years old ... :rolleyes:
You hardly ever see one on the road anymore ... :rolleyes:
We can probably see twice as many of the 'classic' K cars as Chevettes on the road ... :D

Its probably 'ALL ORIGIONAL' ... since its so hard to fit a BIG BLOCK under the hood ... :rolleyes:

LMFAO

25 years simply makes it an old car....not a classic

Hey, let's lighten up. The're just cars, no matter what you want to call them. If you like it, it's a classic to you. After all weren't the Model T's & A's the Chevettes of the day. :)

John

In a nutshell, for someone born in that year, to them, it's a classic.
Seen at a show in 2011.

....happens all the time because Kijiji refuses to restrict access to bonafide 'classics'. The 25 year rule doesn't work either and when you take the time to flag something as 'miscategorized', nobody looks at it to throw it into the correct category. In the Ontario Kijiji, I've seen as much as 30-40% miscategorized (cars 2010,2011, parts, newer trucks, beggars looking for free cars, people looking for cars for a wedding shoot, snowmobile trades, and other crap). As long as the ad revenue comes in, they won't care.....

Exactly. I find the same thing.
I also see 1986 Ford Tempo in the classic car section......classic car?
Kijiji sends me a questionnaires to fill out asking a few questions about what can be done to make the Kijiji experience better. Nothing ever changes.

Hey, let's lighten up. The're just cars, no matter what you want to call them. If you like it, it's a classic to you. After all weren't the Model T's & A's the Chevettes of the day. :)

John

X2. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but probably a classic to someone.

A guy at a gas station had the hood up on some nondescript mid 80's GM front wheel drive four door and was holding jumper cables.

Being the way too kind soul i went over there, wondering where he was from since the plates were unfamiliar black on white... they were collector plates!
I said to him "You have collector plates!" and with a big grin he said "It's 25 years old".

The people that collect those usually come with flatdeck truck with no ramps.

John
Exactly. To me, a chevette is as much a "classic" as a '64-'66 barracuda (IOW they aren't) but if others think so that's cool with me. Anyone that appreciates and care about their ride has my respect. Their tastes are theirs, mine are mine. It's about the passion and attitude, not the body style or makers badge. Now, having said that, that still doesn't excuse the bastardization of ebay's search function. When I'm searching "chevy 409" I don't want 12 pages of new cars with a 4, 0, and 9 somewhere in their add.

I guess to the "younger" generation, a car from the 1980s or perhaps the early 90s would be considered classic to them. Personally, my favourite cars are from the 30s, 40s, 50s, and a few from the 60s. I'm generally not into the cars that came afterwards with the exception of a select few. I have a hard time accepting the notion that a mid 80s Dodge or Plymouth is a "classic" but I guess there's people who do like them.

The cars from the 80s and 90s are probably more affordable to the younger crowd. Trying to get into the older antique/classic car hobby is becoming out of reach for many people. I don't think it's dying due to lack of interest. I think it's being impacted by people not being able to afford them anymore.

Interestingly, I was looking at some pictures in Old Autos yesterday of a car show from the early 1970s with Model A Fords, mid 50s chevs, and others. A 55 Chevy in 1972 would have of only been 17 years old and yet they were already showing up at shows. Today we probably wouldn't see a 17 year old car showing up to a classic car show for display.

Definition of CLASSIC.....
ADJECTIVE....
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
(of a garment or design) of a simple elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion.
NOUN.....
a work of art of recognized and established value.
a thing that is memorable and a very good example of its kind.

There you have it.
My dad says he wouldn't use a flathead engine even as a boat anchor even now....they were crap when he had to drive them, still the same now.
One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
Does a chevette fit in this box ?
Hopefully we can all smile as we walk by a chevette or (fill in the blank here) and hope the guy is having a good time with his treasure.

I guess a Chevette could be cool in the right circumstances..... like with a big block squeezed into the front and huge tubbed tires in the back!

Russ

These could be considered classic to. One of the very few newer cars to actually appreciate in value.

I think cheap insurance is one the main drivers for Chevette, Tempo, so called collector or classic cars.

I'm guessing that the average age group on this site is like me, senior. Each generation has their own idea of cool. As the older guys die off the younger ones will wonder what was so special about tri-five Chevies or '32 Fords. Back in the 60's some young fellas thought these were cool.
025d.jpg
(photo stolen from another thread)
I doubt that the seniors of the day agreed that 10 year old Hillman and Austin 4 doors were very sporty. But some young rodders did. The hobby will carry on and the older folks won't always see that what the younger folks like is worthy of appreciation.

Cheers, John

Last edited: