A Little Off The Top---Please (part 3) The Build

Hunter

well when I left off with "part 2" I had sandblasted the whole car and found some places that needed attention--I also took the big cube engine apart to redo only to find a spun bearing on #8 so it went into the corner for a while--then a little surprise one Saturday morning when I was suppose to be getting ready for work ended up with an ambulance ride to the hospital then a helicopter ride to Kelowna to get my heart repaired after a heart attack--don't remember any of it and am doing fine now--sure slowed me down though and when I get tired I stop--was a while before I got back to the car but am working on it still-----

while recouping I got bored so used some leftover parts from my parts car to make some wall art

100_3828_zpsyacexcnp.jpg

there was rust hiding under the old paint and bondo so cut it out and put new in

100_3637_zpsetrxld35.jpg

welded the firewall in too

100_3643_zpstdovhjvd.jpg

had to stop work so sealed it up as winter was coming

100_3665_zpsdgzgstok.jpg

100_3662_zpskep6gdmv.jpg

this car is being built for comfort so split bench full power seats but chevy floor pan isn't flat so out with the cut off saw and there you go--2 18" holes in the floor

100_3680_zpshm4qxkxd.jpg

problem #1--chevy doesn't use x-members in the frame--there in the floor pan and 1 goes right where I cut so some planning was required--new x-members that will be used for seat mounts too

100_3762_zpsmc9xhkik.jpg

out with the pattern paper to get the holes closed

100_3811_zpsfybksygi.jpg

transfer to metal

100_3818_zpsewemro93.jpg

make it fit and weld it in

100_3825_zpsp4dixzuw.jpg

100_3824_zps7iulzenr.jpg

100_3831_zpsf8gtz7ei.jpg

floor is finished --I had a backup engine--320hp--350 Olds so tore it down to find a low mileage super engine so off to machine shop for a clean up and it is now waiting to be reassembled

it is now time to get the mud work done and finish the body--then assemble the engine and hear it run

100_3826_zps9xx1zf74.jpg

100_3827_zpsjxf56km0.jpg

that's all for now as everyone knows seeing body work is like watching paint dry---lol

Bob.............thanks so much for your story and the awesome workmanship on your car. The floor redo looks like factory......Glad you are feeling better and getting back in the swing of things....:)

You are poking along there nicely Bob, man I am glad to hear you are doing fine, kind of gives you a reality check eh.

...glad you're back at it Bob and fully recovered. I'll be watching every update and the knack of making changes look factory is outstanding and well worth the extra time and fabbing...

Glad to hear that you are back at it again Bob, I love the work you have done. Geez mate, take it easy though.

well I guess it's update time--they say as you get older your wiser----well I don't think so--I was going great on the mud work when I did a foolish thing at work without proper ventilation and it took 2 months before I could breath properly without gasping for air and heavy coughing--got direct orders no more dust even though I used a mask in the shop which meant body work came to a screaming halt--I finally found a body man that would work after hours in my shop for a reasonable price so progress is happening again--first thing he said was gaps were too close so he ground them and I welded them --

100_3846_zpsgsirtnw6.jpg

trunk gap was too wide

100_3842_zps3u2pmlnl.jpg

100_3858_zpsmcjbk2ze.jpg

finally he said --"that's it--out of the shop till he said ok" it was time for him to go to work

100_3855_zps3kgclvxi.jpg

100_3854_zpsp7hn9998.jpg

so that's it for now--I peek in the window or when the door is open then head back to the pool :D

Thanks Bob, nice to see you are moving forward again, but listen to the Docs mate, we like having you around.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Happy to see an update on this build.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.......... an update. Most appreciated, Bob.

Did ya get a little box of plaques from Earl?

Gezzz Bobby boy, about time you started taking care of yourself, you want to live long enough to enjoy some time with this ride, keep away from dusty stuff etc and take care mate.
The car is looking razor sharp mate.