Rod Shop Calgary Closed

rustbucket

Sad to see any business close down but even more sad when its a shop like this.
As of the end of this month(not exact dates) the Rod Shop in Calgary is no more.
Good luck to all the staff in finding new jobs.

Shop closes September 30 but everything has to be gone by Sept 26.

Everything is on sale.

Need a paint booth? They've got one.

Very expensive lease, no doubt renewal time.

Lots of good talent going. Wishing the staff good luck.

I've heard another shop is having problems too.

UPDATE Sept 5th:

Apparently several major projects went south as in not being paid for the work, vehicles sat there for months at a time taking up space, not earning their keep.
Owners MIA.
Tom, the shop owner, had enough of the losses and decided to close the doors.
Two talented gentlemen from the shop will be setting up their own small shop strictly for old style hot rods and customs (no a/c, no pw, no pl, no FI, no computers, etc).

Last edited:
I have friends back there but not sure if it's the old one in Airdrie or?

I have friends back there but not sure if it's the old one in Airdrie or?

Nope, that Airdrie shop closed eons ago.
It was first called Hot Rods and Cool Cars Inc (actually twice - 2 different owners), then Hot Rods Inc.
The Hot Rod Inc silent investor then became un-silent and moved the shop to Red Deer Alberta and within months it closed down.

Last edited:
Nope, that Airdrie shop closed eons ago.
It was first called Hot Rods and Cool Cars Inc, then Hot Rods Inc.
The silent investor become un-silent and moved the shop to Red Deer Alberta and within months it closed down.
Ok thanx for the update.

From the ashes rises another.

New shop in town: Highwood Rod & Custom and is sponsoring the Vintage Alley/Suede Palace at the 2015 Calgary W.O.W. show.

Believe this is Spock and Justin, both formerly of The Rod Shop, which use to sponsor Vintage Alley.

Now I can understand why W.O.W. was handing out only applications at the last few show & shines, colour brochure was handed out at the High rRiver show today with the Highwood logo.

Last edited:
Dana. White

Had a speed shop in Calgary and had A alky dragster about 15 yrs ago. He was from my home town. Font hill ont. I think a bad marriage and buisness plan closed the doors. Anyone know him

Yes , the Rod Shop is finished.
There were a number of reasons for this , some in our control but more of them out of our control.
Tom , the owner , thought long and hard about this decision , and ultimately decided to close the doors and spend more time and effort playing...sorry finessing..his race car and several other projects he has waiting in the wings.

As for Highwood Rod and Custom , yes this will begin almost immediately , although Justin didn't work at the Rodshop , and we're pretty excited about it.

Thanks to all the people who supported us at the rod shop , and hope to see you all next season with different business cards:D:D

Spock

Justin had to be brought in as an interpreter.
I'm not their press agent and won't advertise for them but it's a different address.