Barn Find

59imp

In 1968 a fellow in my town ordered and purchased a new 1968 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 GT-E 428 Cobra-Jet. he started drag racing the car right away, campaigning it at tracks across the Pacific Northwest, Mission, Cobble Hill, Seattle, etc..... running in Super Stock, at one point the car set a class record running a 12.50 at Seattle. In mid 72 the engine detonated while at a race destroying the block. The car was brought home the engine was removed and tragically engine parts were sold and the original block went to the scrap yard. the rest of the car was untouched and unmolested. This car has been sitting in dry storage since that time. The original owner still has it. It has been unseen for 40 years. Until yesterday. The owner is a family friend, I have known him all my life. I saw the car race at Cobble Hill on Vancouver Island in early 72 just before the engine blew. Due to some health issues the owner has, myself and a couple friends are helping the owner do a sympathetic restoration. We have been in contact with the GT-E Registry. Of the 394 1968 GT-E Cougars produced, only 38 were special ordered with the 428 Cobra-Jet option. As is the car has 17,262 original miles. The condition is unbelievable. These photos do not do it justice. It’s an amazing piece of automotive history. And it was a privilege to be one of the first people to see it after all this time.

Last edited:
Cougar XR7

Absolutely great car and story..... getter done , looking for update photos
and whatever you do don't wipe off window class art.

Micamountain

Wow what a story and what a rare car! 428 !!!! Look forward to watching this thread!! Keep the updates coming

A very neat story, that will look very neat all restored again, have you been able to get a replacement engine for the car. 428 in one of those would have been a tight fit. Is it going to get a fresh paint job etc or just a mechanical up date.

Very interesting and thanks for the photos.

Restore ?????? just put it back together , wash it , an your done . That's a really sweet car ..77.

Amazing find. Dave Dunbar at John Halls carcraft redid the heads on my Boss 429 back in the day. He was one the go to guys when it came to performance Fords. It would be nice to keep it with its race car patina but would be far more valuable restored to original.

In 1968 a fellow in my town ordered and purchased a new 1968 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 GT-E 428 Cobra-Jet. he started drag racing the car right away, campaigning it at tracks across the Pacific Northwest, Mission, Cobble Hill, Seattle, etc..... running in Super Stock, at one point the car set a class record running a 12.50 at Seattle. In mid 72 the engine detonated while at a race destroying the block. The car was brought home the engine was removed and tragically engine parts were sold and the original block went to the scrap yard. the rest of the car was untouched and unmolested. This car has been sitting in dry storage since that time. The original owner still has it. It has been unseen for 40 years. Until yesterday. The owner is a family friend, I have known him all my life. I saw the car race at Cobble Hill on Vancouver Island in early 72 just before the engine blew. Due to some health issues the owner has, myself and a couple friends are helping the owner do a sympathetic restoration. We have been in contact with the GT-E Registry. Of the 394 1968 GT-E Cougars produced, only 38 were special ordered with the 428 Cobra-Jet option. As is the car has 17,262 original miles. The condition is unbelievable. These photos do not do it justice. It’s an amazing piece of automotive history. And it was a privilege to be one of the first people to see it after all this time.

Would that be Tommie Sings old Cougar by any chance,they had a first class body shop in Westview back in the 60's.

This is an excellent story. I reaaly enjoy these types of "barn find" stories. Thanks very much for sharing the story and photos with us. I'm looking forward to the updates.

A very neat story, that will look very neat all restored again, have you been able to get a replacement engine for the car. 428 in one of those would have been a tight fit. Is it going to get a fresh paint job etc or just a mechanical up date.

Very interesting and thanks for the photos.

we have a 428 and have another for parts, if it is a suitible match it will be used. the paint, interior, trim and glass on the car look fabulous, with only 17,000 miles and stored for 40 yrs, i think a good detailing and it should present itself well.

Amazing find. Dave Dunbar at John Halls carcraft redid the heads on my Boss 429 back in the day. He was one the go to guys when it came to performance Fords. It would be nice to keep it with its race car patina but would be far more valuable restored to original.

there is not any patina on the car other than a few stickers on the rockers, we may leave them on for now and remove them later. as far as value, this car is documented in the official GT-E Registry and being only 1 of 38 with the 428 Cobra-Jet it's quite valuable as is. i know a concours restored 427 GT-E sold at auction in 2011 for $150,000, and there were about 350 of the 427 cars built. when we get it running, the owner will drive it for a bit, but i'm sure it will then come up for sale. i know the market is soft right now, but with the correct engine in the car the value is estimated just short of $100,000

Would that be Tommie Sings old Cougar by any chance,they had a first class body shop in Westview back in the 60's.

the car was bought and is still owned by Jack Sing, Tommie was his Uncle and did own the body shop, if you were around these parts back then you may remember my father, he had a gas station, 'Speeds' Esso Station on Joyce Ave by the high school.....

That is a goo dthing the paint is still good, I was just looking there and thought there was surface rust on the body, obviously just dirt from sitting all those years.

Blood cool story and I hope your friend gets to enjoy the car some. I guess all the seals will need to be replaced etc. I know with my Galaxie I had it had been sitting for many years and after having to do a couple of seal I just pulled the car and went right through the lot, it saved having to case everything later.

Thanks again, John

Sing's Body and rad shop

the owner is 71 years old and has some health issues. the plan is to get the car running so he can drive it again. we are doing our best to get it as close to original as possible.
Yes i was around then and still going strong ,Jack I believe worked in the Body shop and also fixed radiators.At the time I was building a 28 Ford pickup with SB Chev and he re soldered the rad for it.I saw the car run at Mission many times,they used to trailer it all over ,always on the Fri. ferry to Van.I remember the garage that you speak of as Speed and Stan's though.Powell river was a wild town back then,as many just out of H.S. worked in the Mill and had the bucks to buy new muscle cars which got raced out at the quarter mile that was then Stillwater on the highway.

Up until now I had never seen the "7 Liter" designation used for anything other than the Galaxie. Thanks for sharing the story! I look forward to seeing updates on this. :)

Smokin; even an old Mopar guy can get into this! Just never know whats lurking in garages, in small town B.C. Good luck with bringing her back to life. John.

ok a small update, got all new brake components today they must fit several diiferent vehicles cause they had most of the parts in Vancouver and they were here overnight. also ordered all new power steering hoses and fittings. still missing some key components but we are just trying to get it as a 'roller' for now....

also another tasty bit of info from the GT-E Registrar, of the 37 428 Cobra-Jet car manufactured in 1968 (all were built in the States) only 3 were imported into Canada. this car, one to Brooks Alta that has been accounted for, and one to Edmonton which is unaccounted for.... so get out and start looking boys!!!!:)