BC Rodders Important ICBC stuff !!

PG409

Supporting Member
We are being asked to vote our opinions on a couple of issues dealing with ICBC.
You do not have to be a member of the SVABC to join in this vote. I will provide a link below to the SVABC website.
Please do not use this thread to whine about other issues surrounding the collector/vintage plate issues.

The two questions being asked are:

Are you in favour of moving the Modified Collector Plate programme up to 1974 ?

Are you in favour of calling repop bodies (steel/glass) "replica" cars instead of "ubuilts" and providing modified collector plate status to pre 1939 replica cars?

ICBC has said to the SVABC that they need to see numbers to see how many people really care about this issue.

PLEASE VOTE.......you will not be able to link the email addresses supplied on the site directly but please write them down then send your email.

http://www.sva.bc.ca/news/

Last edited:
Important stuff indeed Keith. I'm going to sticky this.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank for putting the Sticky on. That would be great if you could put it on the home page. I cast my votes a couple of weeks ago, and encourage others to do the same.

I voted and hopefully everyone else does. If there is the option of making concessions to allow these changes i'd vote for disontinuing the 25 year thing in exhange for allowing 1960's modified cars. It'd be hard to retroctively take away Collector status of those prized 1988 Cavaliers and Aerostars but perhaps cut it off there and make the requirements stricter for those "no longer made" types that can apply at any age. It was for Deloreans and stuff when it was written but now seems to allow all Pontiac, Olds , Saturn and Mercury since they are defunct makes.

Thanks for posting Keith, those are important issues to steer in the correct direction. The more people that vote, the more ICBC will see that we are an important group.

Sheldon

Frank, after August 31st you can "unstick" this thread as the vote will be finished.

I will post up fresh info after that time. Thanks for the support.

You are right TIMBUK.........ICBC want us to "show them the money" so please do vote. They have said to the SVABC, "how many people are really concerned about this?" So let us show them.

Voting is done Frank.....time to unstick this post. Thanks for doing it......
we all really appreciate it.:)

Did anything really come of all this, or did it just fade away like most other things dealing with ICBC?

Bob Kelly of the SVA says the vote was over 99% in favour of the request.

Although no details are set yet, I understand that a meeting with the applicable government powers and ICBC will be forthcoming. The only thing I can say for sure is that I will be speaking with Minister Todd Stone's office (on behalf of Bob Kelly) for the sole purpose of setting a meeting time.

Once this has been done I expect that Bob might have a few more details. As you know, anything to do with government moves very slowly, so don't expect to hear much for a few more months.

Bob Kelly of the SVA says the vote was over 99% in favour of the request.

Although no details are set yet, I understand that a meeting with the applicable government powers and ICBC will be forthcoming. The only thing I can say for sure is that I will be speaking with Minister Todd Stone's office (on behalf of Bob Kelly) for the sole purpose of setting a meeting time.

Once this has been done I expect that Bob might have a few more details. As you know, anything to do with government moves very slowly, so don't expect to hear much for a few more months.

Thanks! Don't mind me if I sound pesimistic but I am, but usually ICBC will do a shuffle and everything up to that point will be lost and they start down the road of "refamiliarizing" all the new people and everything gets put on the backburner...again. Sorry, I've just lost all faith in "the system" , but that said, I hope something comes out of it.

Thanks! Don't mind me if I sound pesimistic but I am, but usually ICBC will do a shuffle and everything up to that point will be lost and they start down the road of "refamiliarizing" all the new people and everything gets put on the back burner...again. Sorry, I've just lost all faith in "the system" , but that said, I hope something comes out of it.

I don't think you're alone in your thinking, that's for sure.

The SVA will be holding their own internal meeting around the end of March I think, there might be details on their website. So the meeting with the Minister won't be until after that...most likely in early April. But no arrangements of any kind have been made yet. You'll get the most accurate information from Bob Kelly at the SVA directly.

All I am doing is trying to act as a facilitator for Bob because I happen to live in the Minister's constituency, nothing more.

By now, most of us know that ICBC will be undertaking a major revamp of the entire system in the new year. This is expected to take most of 2014 to finalize, and therefore anything that might possibly come out of a future meeting with the minister will not be getting looked at by ICBC until 2015.

I attended meetings with the government back in the mid 70's. I think at that time it was to do with regulations pertaining to hot rods. A least we have accomplished a few things along the way, but it certainly does take time. Fender exemptions are still a dream.