1960's Ford Pickup - Help decoding what I got?

hbpaints

Hello Everyone...

I just aquired a ford pickup from my Brother in law. It's a Custom Cab '60 something long box, complete and in fairly decent shape...

Tag on the Drivers Door jamb is as follows;

Serial # 4991028L-147482A
Trim 08
Paint UH
Axel Ratio 3.73, 1 (Self Explanatory lol)
Series F-F100
W.B. 128
Engine RR
Trans 4SPD
Ford Motor Company - oakville Ontario

Plus it has a different badge than most on the hood, it has a lightning bolt through the emblem? Motor has valve covers with 2 bolts on each.

I can't figure out how to send pictures on this but have pics of truck, vin plate, hood emblem, etc...

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks guys!

Rob.

Thanks alot... I appreciate you looking it up.

So it does have an 8cyl in it... might not be original then eh?

The V.I.N. doesn't make sense. If it truly is a 128" wheelbase, it is a 1964. '61-'63 long bed was 122", '65-'66 was 129" and '67-'72 was 131".

V.I.N. would be: first 3 digits: F10 = F100 2wd
F11 = F100 4wd
F25 = F250 2wd
F26 = F250 4wd
The fourth number should actually be a letter. In '64 the only six cylinder was a code "B" = 262 CID. A "C" would indicate a 2 barrel 292

A Canadian built truck (Oakville) will have a "C" as the fifth character.

The rest is the consecutive serial number. This brings your V.I.N. to eleven characters total :confused:

Your V.I.N. should look something like this: F10BCxxxxxx.

Last edited:
I completely agree? This is weird....

Is there a way to send you some pictures? ie. email addy or something?

I have pics of the truck, motor and data plate from drivers door jamb that I can send you.

Had a quick look L - was 1961 code for left hand drive oakville Assembly but still used a letter before it as year code. Cars also used L for oakville 60, 61. Could of been a mid year change ?

Looks like Slim has it figured! Different code system from the USA trucks obviously. I still don't see a way to tell the year of manufacture other than the 128" wheelbase only being available in 1964....in the USA anyway.;) And your hood side emblems are pre- '65 as well.

Last edited:
4992810L 147482A
4- ford 8 cyl
99- chasie and cab..pickup (flush side)
28-128" wheelbase
10-series
L - left hand drive

147482- consecutive serial#
A- 5000 GVW

RR - 292 2bbl
4SPD- 4 speed

No DSO # indicated - must have been bought off the lot -not ordered.
:cool::cool: (no 'Z' missing.)

Last edited:
Had a quick look L - was 1961 code for left hand drive oakville Assembly but still used a letter before it as year code. Cars also used L for oakville 60, 61. Could of been a mid year change ?

Slim, even the USA codes don't have a year designation character from '61-'66 or '67-'72, so they must have used the consecutive serial#s to break it down(they know how many they made each year). Makes sense as I have been asked for my serial # at the parts counter on occaission to decipher mid year parts changes

how about a few pics of this unit as well ..

I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting these as they were sent to me last night.(if it's a problem, I'll remove them - no trouble);)

20130516_113804_detail.jpg

20130516_113835_detail.jpg

20130516_113706_detail.jpg

Doors, hoods, grilles, fenders, and upper grille valances are all interchangeable through 1961-66, so it's not uncommon to see mismatched combinations (possibly from previous owners sourcing replacements from a variety of trucks to repair rust or collision damage). That grille is definitely '64 though. The hood side emblems are correct, as later trucks had them on the fender and earlier trucks like my '62 uni had a chrome "spear" on the hood side.

The Y-block suggests it's 64 at the latest (though one could install a Y in a later truck if so inclined, lol), as does the bed. In 61-63 if you wanted a separate cab and bed you ended up with a "wrongbed", a slightly different version of the 57-60 bed. In 64 they switched to the bed seen here, hence the difference in wheelbase. Inner fenders appear to be pre-65 as well.

So Fordy's detective work checks out. ;)

Though it's interesting the book says that the 262 was the only inline 6 available for '64. I'm quite sure the 223 was offered as well, with the 262 an option that was previously only available in the bigger trucks.

Last edited: