Trunk coating - product?

FRNKNSTN

Has anyone ever used the 'pick up box' coatings for finishing off the trunk space? Similar to Gator Guard or any of the DIY products that are available.
How do the DIY kits apply? How does the material stand up? Does it work as a sound deadener as well? Would you use it for the interior of the car as well, under the carpet, or is there something else that would work well?
Fire away, suggestions will help.

Yes………………….and no. ;)

I used Canadian Tire box liner as sound insulator base coating inside a pickup cab, but I mixed it with fiberglass microspheres (tiny air bubbles) that help as a heat insulator as well. Available at fiberglass supply shops cheap. Home made poor mans Lizard Skin if you like. Not on the road yet but it sticks, really sticks, watch out for the fumes while it is drying.
:)

I mixed the microspheres with tremclad rust paint and did the floor and underneath the cab of my 59 dirty ol truck and it works good as an insulator and sound deadener. Research said to mix with latex paint for more working time and to put it on credit card thickness. Gord

Thanks for the responses guys.
When you mix it with the glass beads, how hard is it to apply?
Ray, you mention about it fuming off, how bad is it? Does it eventually settle out?

When you mix it with the glass beads, how hard is it to apply? Ray, you mention about it fuming off, how bad is it?

I used a cheap big ol’ paint brush and just sloped it on (and then threw the brush away). It seemed to level out as it dries.

Poor pix, (Shameless opportunity to show off project) but it is the black stuff (brush residue) on the back inside of the cab.

The fumes are gone as soon as it dries, around 24 hours max, and I think that the bubbles are held in suspension by the product.

If you add the Glass Microspheres into a latex paint (that's all sound deadening Lizard Skin is) you can spray it with a schutz gun which is what undercoat and bedliner is usually shot with. I will have to look, I have the info somewhere, but 1 pound per gallon of paint seems to ring a bell with me. You can get the guns in all sorts of places here is Canadian Tire link:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Protectants/PRD~0475761P/Shutz+Siphon+Gun.jsp

FYI Glass Microspheres do not add much insulating factor. They are just for sound deadening. You need the ceramic micro spheres for insulation properties and they don't add much sound deadening. This is why Lizard skin sells two products.

K-13 you are right. I used the ceramic spheres on my truck and found the information on of all things a model airplane sight.