My mufflers only lasted 1 month!!

Rocket88

I've been driving the wheels of the Olds, but after a month the mufflers were shot!
So I took 5 minutes and changed them. :D

muflers001.jpg

muflers002.jpg

muflers003.jpg

Mufflers

I gave up and just run my lakes open. Steel wool cost too much to be replacing it every month? Regards Al C

On a similar note, today I found that one side of my catback Flowmasters had rusted out/off of our '06 Dakota.

Muffler is still good but the pipes are aluminum and don't seem to last a whole long time. These 50 series F/masters have been on our truck for about 2 years (and low milage) and are now rendered almost useless. Next catback system will be a complete (Magnaflow) stainless system. It only costs about $150 more....

Last edited:
The 34 years worth of mouse poop and mouse carcuses I found in the 52s mufflers seemed to do a good job, still have it all in a large bag if ya want to buy it, got a genuine patina stink to it as well, course they may not fit your model if it's a rat rod as they are mouse orientated:D

....lovely low tech solution....but I'd use the ones with soap to clean the air and pass the emissions test...

I tried to find stainless steel wool, no luck.
A 12 pack cost me $4.99, that's 3 month's worth of mufflers!
They made me remove them at Aircare to test the car.

Something what often works is to get some small expaned mesh and roll it up and insert it, you will find way less back pressure. Another old trick although you wouldn't want to do it to your chrome pipes is to make a hacksaw cut half way through the pipe and weld a piece of 16 gauge panel steel in place and do that a few times spaced out about 4" and you have baffels.

I would have thought that steel wool would have had too much back pressure myself.

Last edited: