Thinning Tremclad?

Rocket88

I can't remeber what to use.
Want to spray it on my inner fenders.
I've got two guns to choose from, a 1.5 or 2 mm.

Use RM acrylic enamel reducer and add the matching hardener if you want it to dry up nice and hard, the catalyst will also make it retain a glossy shine.. Used to so this trick when painting antique gaspumps for outdoor use.. The orange was spot on for Supertest ...

How old is your Tremclad? If its something you just bought check the label. The stuff they sell today is thinned with water now not anything solvent based Or at least the stuff I bought at Canadian Tire about 6 months ago was water based.

the new tremclad, according to the rep at tremclad, cannot be thinned. It used to be that you had to use mineral spirits to thin it. I tried several different thinners and hardners on the new stuff, but it would not mix.....just got gloopy

I just finished painting 16 frames for our marching band last week. I used a tremclad black semi-gloss and thinned with lacquer thinner.
No problems.

Thanks guys.
I bought some semi gloss, the can says "oil based technology" on it.
I'll give it a go this weekend.

This answers a lot! I usually paint rear ends with black Tremclad thinned with solvent and wash the brush with solvent and it didn't work... sloppy goop. Stiff brush.

:mad:

Sprayed my inner fenders yesterday.
50/50 Tremclad Satin Black and PPG enamel reducer, no hardener.
Used a small touch up gun, it went on really easy, even with my limited experience.
I checked it this morning, it's dry to the touch already and pretty hard.
I'll give another day before trying to install them.

MayJune2012004.jpg

MayJune2012005.jpg