Two steps forward…..one step backwards! Need MII rack PS hose help!

Old Ray

Supporting Member
Got the 460 running a couple of weeks ago and after a few little bugs settled down and ran very nice (sweet) so far. :)

Back to doing other things but started to notice a little power steering oil drip on the floor, checked it out and the high pressure adaptor fitting that goes in a new type (94 V style Mustang) Heidts supplied rack is weeping when just sitting (gravity) not sure if it leaks when running.

Took it apart yesterday and the fitting is very sloppy in the threads and can’t tell if the o ring is sealing. Re-checked the size of the port in the Heidts instructions (M14x1.5) and of the Mullins (now owned by Borgeson) 925102 hose and adaptor kit which is the correct part number for the application but could not find a dimension chart to confirm the size of the adaptor. I think that I might have the wrong adaptor but I am confusing myself with all the different possible sizes that ford used on the MII rack pressure port. :(

Heidts have the adaptors listed but no illustration, just says o ring, Billet Specialties have a picture that shows the o ring at the bottom of the adaptor, speedway have a 2 piece kit that has the o ring and Teflon washer at the top of the thread. Color me confused! :eek:

When I installed these during the build last year, I remember that one of the fittings (return?) was very tight to thread right from the start, which makes me suspicious that they might be the wrong size; I’m hesitant to disturb this fitting in the aluminum threads.

Has anyone installed the adaptors in the newer rack, what did they look like, and where did you get them? Help please! :confused:

fittings

http://kingtuttonline.com/~rjays2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_220

Kind of confused without seeing what you got . But if it feels wrong it probley is. The 9/16- 18 that seats at the nut will have a distinked chanfer at the port to actcept o ring. part# 2-906, 90 durometer oring is not a standard cross section and is only used on this series of fittings any hydraulic shop should have them if you screw it up or i could mail you 10 for the price of a stamp. the 14 mil fitting should have a step with a light chanfer at bottom of port. stuped choice in sizing . 14m=.551 ,9/16=.562 . they do make a 14 mil that seals at top or hex but i dont think you will find it used in this application. same for the 16 mil=.629 , 5/8=.625 almost like they want you to screw it up

they do make a 14 mil that seals at top or hex but i dont think you will find it used in this application. same for the 16 mil=.629 , 5/8=.625 almost like they want you to screw it up
Thank you for the reply. The existing fitting does have the top o-ring and looks like it should seal on the top, but that is part of the problem, if it is the wrong fitting that might not mean much. I could take a pic of the fitting and the port if you like? I have an email into Heidts, so I will see what they say? In the meantime I did find this set from Borgeson.
14MM and 16MM top seal O-ring adapter set​
untitled.jpg
Power Steering Hose Adapter Set. Stainless steel 14MM and 16MM top seal O-ring adapter set. Adapts to a -6AN for custom hose applications. Thanks again, Ray.

the fitting you show there is an AN - 6 ..3/8 jic male 37 deg flare to an inverted flare metric ?.seal area would be metal to metal into bottom of the fitting much like a brake line . Or the bottom of the port it screws into would have to acommidate the seal or a mateing cone.Im sure the picture you have is 48215 and 48217 on the link an-6 to inverted flare probley a disclaimer.. might not be as shown.. I have a feeling that the they should look like the fist two on the link with the o ring on a step by the bottom.if the manufacture dosn't pipe up post a picture of the fitting and port. top seal will look like this or o ring with steel washer on out side.

image.php

Last edited:
also the bigger diameter fittin is your preasuure side of the rack if you hook them up backwards you will wreck the seals

i have fittings for you instock 15 bucks each
Thank you for the reply. If possible could I have just a little more info, us (me) anal Virgos have to drive ourselves crazy with more information then we need, but as mental illnesses go, I guess there are worse!! :eek: Do your fittings seal on the top with a o-ring and washer and what make are they? I will buy from you, I just need to know what I’m buying.:confused:
also the bigger diameter fittin is your preasuure side of the rack if you hook them up backwards you will wreck the seals
Wrong, from the Heidts site: Quote.
The high pressure fitting is the M14x1.5 thread port which is toward the front of the rack, and the return fitting is M16x1.5 thread port that is at the rear
also been there and done that on my last project, it’s not the seals you have to worry about as much as your fingers / hand the first time you touch the steering wheel. Right? :eek: