Central Alberta Raceways possible July opening

GMRodder

Seems with the closing of Race City in Calgary, a bit of good news is on the horizon for drag racing fans.
The first new track in Canada in many years located in Rimbey just north west of Red Deer.
Looks like it will be a fine track to run.
This was posted on their website.

Drag Strip Construction Update - January 2012
2011 was a very productive year for the CAR Drag Strip, thanks to the hard work of many individuals the drag strip base work has been completed. The drag strip elevations are above engineer design and significant work has been completed to expand and enhance the drainage to the entire facility. In the spring we'll all have our fingers crossed as the snow melts confirming correct water run-off grades. Afterwards the final seal can be put on the base work as the committee engages local companies to provide the finish paving and concrete work! If all goes according to plan we should be having our annual shoot-outs on the 1/4 mile drag strip in July.
Many thanks goes out to everyone involved in the design and construction of our 1/4 mile drag strip.

Track%20Vision.png

That is good news indeed.

As you say, with Race City now gone, the ad-hoc committee was looking at the defunct horse race track at Balzac as a possible potential location for a renewed Race City.

I didn't know Race City had closed down, when did that happen? Geez I remember when it opened, it was a Hell of a lot better than the old 1/8 mile track, with the curve in the shutdown section of the track:eek:. I'm happy to hear Alberta is getting another track......hmmmm, could this mean a Lotus Landers roadtrip?;)

As a life long resident of Red Deer I've watched this project unfold over the last decade. Do I think it will ever get to the rendition as seen on the website? Probably not in my lifetime, the capital costs are too great when your raising money thru donations (some which have been substatial), grants and local fundraisers. They have been generating some revenue from the stock car track and I think some demo derbys. We were out there last fall and it appeared the drag strip was just about ready for pavement. Like the website said......could be racing in 2012. There probably won't be too much for amenities but I'm sure the group behind this project will be pretty happy when they get cars in the pits and people in the seats. This would be an amazing feat if the people in the Rimbey area could pull it off, don't think there's to many places in North America with that small in population that can say they have a 1/4 mile drag strip. (forgot Ashcroft) If they do get going, make the trip...Calgary, 2 hours...Edmonton,1.5hours.

Thats great news. Hopefully they come through. As Butch mentioned, there has been lots of talk about if for many years.
Hopefully the small town track means small town attitude. I've been involved in drag racing since the early 90's in Edmonton, and as state of the art as Edmontons IHRA track is, the politics in the last 10 years have gotten so ridiculous I don't even go. I haven't run my dragster down Edmontons track in 2 years now. Instead I run all the small town airport tracks, such as Vegreville, Provost and Drayton Valley. It's laid back down to earth drag racing, lots of fun, and no politics!

New track...no b.s. politics...fun...sounds like a great concept !! Set up an Old time drags and I'm in. Road trips are a GOOOD thing. It would be great to get together with some new folks with old rods.......and old cars :D:D

When the track is finally a go. Maybe we can have a CR weekend Nostalgia race. Everyone could bring their wheels and have a party! :cool::cool:
We could make it an annual event.
I bet the track would really go for something like this. I would certainly be in when the Poncho is finished. What does everyone think? :)

That is a good idea.

Timing is everything. Possibly in September might be the best time, only 2 major shows on (Radium & High River) or even early October.

They have annual nostalgia weekenders in the UK , they're a blast.
As long as they sort out good shower blocks , toilets and somewhere to pitch tents , that could be a really good venue.
Hope it works out.

Spock