Dyeing vinyl

clean8485

Has anyone here ever done any dyeing of vinyl trim panels etc? Where can you purchase vinyl dye? Can it be found at an auto supply store (UAP, NAPA, Car Quest)? I also have some radio speaker covers that are covered with a material like carpet that I'd like to change the colour. Will vinyl dye work for that too? Just trying to get some information. Thanks in advance.

I had the seat back re-dyed on a 66 Caprice a few years ago. They were cloth and sun bleached. A company came to the shop I was working at and sprayed them. Also in the detail department at the dealership I worked in used to spray carpets and trunk mats with a fabric spray dye so I know it is available. For plastic, leather etc. try a shoe repair place to see what they use. lots of women get their shoes dyed to match whatever and it stands up very well.

What you want is a plastic paint/coating from SEMS, it's available at most places that mix automotive paints, NAPA, etc. It works great on hard plastic and vinyl, not sure on carpet but they carry a full range of products so they may have something for carpet also.

http://www.sem.ws/

Walmart and canadian tire se1l vinyl pint in a spray can.
I sprayed my seats for the 'A' and so far they have weathered well.
They were blue when I bought them.

Properly used, the over the counter spray bombs give excellant results. Any problems usually stem from improper preparation.

Like any painting, following the manufacturers directions for cleaning and prepping are the most important parts of the process. Interior panels and seats are subjected to spills, contamination, various cleaners and conditioners that may have left a residue preventing proper adhesion of the dye.

Clean and clean some more with the manufacturers recommended product, especially in the grooves and lines common to interior panels.

Thanks Scotty. One thing I had heard about using the dye is to make sure that the surface is prepped properly, but thanks for the reminder.

When I had my cars upholstery done, we took a piece of the material to Lordco Auto Parts & had a dye made up the same colour. I think it was SEM, excellent results. Gotta be clean, clean!!! frank

You can spray it with lacquer with a flex agent, the lacquer will really bite into the vinyl and the flex agent will keep it flexible. I have always used it to dye vinyl tops.

Just so everyone knows, I was looking to dye a set of speaker covers for my car, to match the trim panel that they fit into. I picked up a can of vinyl and fabric dye at CTC, and it worked out pretty well. It probably wouldn't be the best stuff for a large project, but it worked out well for me, for what I was doing. Thanks again for all the help.