Brokerage on shipping - again.

Thanks John for that link. Great information.
It could be frustrating educating each UPS agent but worth it in the end.

John: That is good info, but at the same time, I have no intentions of letting anyone send me anything via UPS.
I would have a hard time rewarding a company that has essentially been raping & pillaging unchecked (for how many years??) by giving them any more business.

James

awesome info but you still have to deal with the brown idiots. i have a po box in WA state plus i have a broker here locally to bring up big stuff for me. alot less headaches that ups

I have no intentions of letting anyone send me anything via UPS

Some companies will only ship via UPS. Speedway quoted me $90 to ship $100 worth of parts and gave me grief when I said I didn't want to use UPS. In the end I got a US postal address and I'll drive over this weekend and get the stuff myself (handy living close to the border).

This info is good to have, but we still get hosed on shipping, even before brokerage fees.

I usually buy stuff that has free shipping within the lower 48 states. (For instance, my daughter bought me a 5 HP Grizzly cabinet saw for working on her house for a year and a half, normally shipping would be a little over 2 hundred bucks to Sweetgrass, but they had it on special with free shipping.) Pick it up at Montana Shipping Outlet. But........I thought I would give the b--t--ds one last try, as I wanted my new spring fairly quick. Ordered it from Posies, figuring it would be here in 4 or 5 days, and it took 9 to get here. Spring was $135.00, plus some shipping. UPS wanted another $170.00, so I relented and took possession of it.
Now I get a bill in the mail for $170.00 and I threw it in the garbage. So, they called the house yesterday and left a msg.
I called UPS in New Brunswick, to see what's up, and they can't bring anything up in my name or address. I politely asked the nice lady if she really thought the UPS people would give me my package if I hadn't already paid for it in full. She had not much to say after that.

I told her they can sue me if they like and then and only then will I bring up my bank statement with my debit card records on it.

I guess they can always hold my next package ransom till I pay them some more money. Good luck to them with that. I will never ever use them again. Only in the U.S. to ship to a warehouse within the U.S. Never again into Canada. Never.

Last edited:
Just doing some google reading. Not sure if this has been posted before, but its pretty interesting. Perhaps someone with time, energy and patience can beat the courier companies at their own game. This link supposedly tells how to do it.
http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

I read through some of the posting under the main story.

Man, even when you flat out confront UPS with their legal obligations, they will still try to block you of your legal rights!

Ups

I flat out told them to pound salt when I received an invoice long after I had the package.Never heard from them again most likely because the invoice was bogus to begin with.UPS sucks the big one.....

I just refuse to use them wanted to get some books from NPD the wanted to charge 120 bucks shipping so got them through a local company and saved a hundred bucks just wonder who they think they are any way

won't order anything unless it's us postal so untill our brothers and sisters at canada post settle I guess I'll have to wait !!

UPS and the others are out too make money .. i bought 3 wire harnessses from ezwire . they were shipped UPS the bill to edmonton was $420.. so i phones UPS and chi down a few throats and asked why i can ship a 4foot by 4 foot . by 5 foot pallet of racks from Unisteer to edmonton for $174 and they want $420 to ship a box the size of 3 small brief cases .. i told the guy im no payin and kiss me arse and too send someone bigger then me with a gun cause i wont pay .. im still waitin for the guy too show up .. that was over a year ago ...

I read through some of the posting under the main story.

Man, even when you flat out confront UPS with their legal obligations, they will still try to block you of your legal rights!

Absolutely, you need to be fully prepared to call them on it if you want this to work. I've seen that link before and just tried it recently with no luck. I was caught off-guard because they actually called me. When I told them I wanted to self-clear I was flatly denied because the item entered Canada via Vancouver. I was told I needed to clear it in person or arrange for my own broker to do it for me.

The truth is I could have done the paperwork through the Customs office in Calgary, just a short drive from my house and saved the 76 bucks.

O.k so what about shipping within the borders of this great country of ours.Who is better/cheaper/more on time?UPS,Canada post ,Others?

I always use Canada Post and the reason for it is, if UPS wants to charge me brokerage on International deliveries, they don't need my business when I ship within Canada and its generally less expensive to ship by Canada Post.

I always use Canada Post and the reason for it is, if UPS wants to charge me brokerage on International deliveries, they don't need my business when I ship within Canada and its generally less expensive to ship by Canada Post.

Or if it's something bigger, try Greyhound bus. Very reasonable.

don't know what is too big got some fenders from the tinman on the island to here and canada post came through a few sighs of surprise from one of the workers but they got here

I like Canada Post!!

All good info for sure and much appreciated, but MY bottom line is I won't use UPS for ANYthing. When they showed up in my driveway recently with a package I would've refused it if we didn't need the parts right away. When I order anything I always ask if they use UPS, if they do and won't send it another way I don't order. If it's ground to a US adress that's okay, but I still HATE THEM!

O.k so what about shipping within the borders of this great country of ours.Who is better/cheaper/more on time?UPS,Canada post ,Others?

I specifically asked the UPS agent in Nanaimo about their cost vs.Canada Post to send a 45 pound article within Canada, and he right away said that Canada Post would be cheaper.

Canada Post has bought up some big articles from the States for me (via the USPS) and no problem at all. A Honda generator, bass guitars, large telescopes and so on. And much of the time, Canada Post doesn't even bother to charge the tax coming in. Gotta love that.

I, been a retired postie, can honestly say that Canada Post wants your business and will go to any measure to make sure you're statisfied with their service.
They will carry anything that will fit in a truck or plane and will out price any competitor.
They will even waive US Duty, Taxes and Handling Fees many times over and I'm not sure why,
perhaps the clerk(s) handling the item are overworked tired disgruntle posties and not adding on the extras..
Either way, even with the extras added on, they're still 100% cheaper than UPS.
Here's something not many people are aware of, if you were moving across the country,
it is cheaper to send your entire house in boxes through CPC than it is to use a moving company or renting a U-Haul truck.

Last edited:
I always go postal for my cross border stuff. don't forget that FedEx and other major carriers will rape you too!