Frustrating dirty fuel?

Martin

Just over this last week my in line fuel filter has become extremely dirty,so, I changed it and 40 km later it's pretty black again.
Yesterday I removed the tank and POR15 lined it so that will go back on after 96 hours cure time.

The carb has been sucked out as there was junk in the float chamber so that's now clean.

But, playing with the timing now and dwell and plugs ect the I have connected fresh fuel via a can and a new filter and its dirty again. All lines are new as of last year, I checked the flexible lines to make sure that they are fuel line hoses and they are so I don't imagine they are deteriorating, so, where is all the junk coming from?

The fuel pump is new as of last year as well when the truck was first put back on the road, do the fuel pumps have a rubber diaphragm inside? Could this be the cause of the problem. Do they break down? If so it's only been on there for probably 1000, to 1500 km at most. Can't think of what else it could be, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Martin:
If the problem was the fuel tank, it has probably contaminated every other line in the system including the fuel pump..You could try to check line by line by introducing the fresh new fuel in after the steel line changes to a flex line between the chassis and inlet on the fuel pump..if its clean now you can isolate it that way .. I think in order to feel like I did the job right would be to replace the pump, and any neopreme fuel lines in the fuel delivery system.. Did you do the por 15 treatment on the tank..? I am only asking because I have heard a time or two that a few had had some bad luck with that treatment ..either an additive or something broke it down and caused much grief..But I don't know that personaly ..you how rumors go so I was just asking..

Hey Fatchuck
I Put the POR 15 in the filler neck and tank. It does have very specific instructions and states absolutely dry before application of the actual sealer so maybe that has been a possible problem of past failures. It also states do not let it puddle, seems like the skin dries but not that contained within the skinned area.

This is the first time I have used this product but previously have used another of which the name I forget but it smelled more of a fibreglass resin type deal.
I sealed three tanks with two quarts of the previous product and it was great, even bridges across holes if you tape over the hole first and puddles seemed to set rock hard.
The previous product used air to set and the POR 15 as stated on the tin uses moisture in the air to set, once it skins over, no more moisture??

My previous sealer was good to go the next day, POR 15 is a 96 hour cure time, don't think I'll be using POR 15 again, basing this on price and cure time really but can't really make a comment if it is better or worse than other products. Time will tell I guess

So, back to your post about fresh fuel out of a can, its dirty again, that only leaves the pump, have you flushed it or is the dirt still coming? If it is, gotta be the pump.

That's what I'm thinking, new pump goes on tomorrow. Gas tank (post POR15) goes in tomorrow but still gotta wait till Saturday night before fuel, 96 hours.
Going on the Cam Jammers Mother's Day wine tour on Sunday, with the lady wife of course, and heck, she's even gonna drive the truck so here's hoping all the dirt gremlins have have packed their bags and buggered off:D