Picked up this 37 chevy rat rod project

snotrocket

So searching kijiji last week and found this interesting build. Bought it from a guy named Troy from innisfail. 1937 chevy truck cab chopped channeled. Custom built 2x4 z'd chassis with speedway drop axle and disc brakes. 9" rearend with new brakes and cables. He figured it was a dodge truck box. New bias plys. Box load of new parts came with it as well. Some vintage ford headlights with new internals. It's mocked up with a 350/TH350 combo. Good start but still a long ways to go before she see's the road.
Here it is. Now that I figured the photobucket thingy a bit better I'll keep posting as some of the builds here progress.

That will be a cool ride when you get it done, I like the stance etc of some rat rods but it is just a shame they don't put paint on even if it is just primer, but then I guess that is the look they go for, out here they have made it law that cars must be painted to get rego.

So I finally got a couple hours to play with the rat. The passenger side of the cab was sitting in water for some years and turned the roof in to Swiss cheese. Couple hours of welding and grinding and it's all good. Not sure weather or not I'm keeping the rust look or going a flat primer look yet.

Also started fitting a roll cage in the cab for some safety to handle the 450hp 383 stroker just waiting to go in.

I tried to fit some honda civic seats in to seat how id fit, turns out just putting a creeper on the floor worked best for height and leg room. I've gotta figure how or what I'm going to use for the seats.

Gonna be a cool little truck. How much chop?? Looks to be about 5-6"? I'd imagine it would be tight in there for seating, my coupe is no different. Maybe bombers are the way to go or make your own seating?

Gonna be a cool little truck. How much chop?? Looks to be about 5-6"? I'd imagine it would be tight in there for seating, my coupe is no different. Maybe bombers are the way to go or make your own seating?

5" chop, I was thinking bombers as well but the driveshaft runs ABOVE the floor, lmao yep. I've gotta make a 1/4" think trans/driveshaft tunnel through te centre of the cab. The body is channeled 4" over the z'd frame. I'm not sure if the width of the bomber will fit between the door/cage and driveshaft tunnel. I might just make some whoopie cushions and some kinda backrest.

Last edited:
The driveshaft above the floor is not uncommon when doing an extreme channel on a Z'd frame. I did a different design than a Z'd frame but the same deal with the driveshaft. In my 29 sedan I also had to build a tunnel.

Here's my 31 interior, obviously the tunnel is WAY higher than where the driveshaft actually is but I just liked the look of this when I built it. You will have room for bombers if you decide to go that route I would think.

Love the build pics... Inspiration

I've still got some of your old build, used most of it on other projects though. The frame just went over to my neighbours for a 49 chevy truck. That international truck box is still being used, it's an awesome fit pit.
Are you you still building that old ford crewcab ?

The driveshaft above the floor is not uncommon when doing an extreme channel on a Z'd frame. I did a different design than a Z'd frame but the same deal with the driveshaft. In my 29 sedan I also had to build a tunnel.

Here's my 31 interior, obviously the tunnel is WAY higher than where the driveshaft actually is but I just liked the look of this when I built it. You will have room for bombers if you decide to go that route I would think.

That's some nice work you got going on. Almost too nice for rat material, lmao
I'll have to do something similar for the driveshaft but I was just thinking about making some seat bottoms and padding it then cut a 45 gallon drum in half and form some backrests.