Gear oil

shaune

Supporting Member
Where can I find, in Saskatchewan, a GL1 rated gear oil ?
It's time to oil up my rebuilt B&W overdrive for 52 Ply and all reading is saying a 75/90 weight, or straight 40 GL1 rated gear oil. Something to do with being compatible with the yellow metals inside. Anyway.....can't find anything at NAPA, Cdn Tire or the usuals.

I have some 80W90 from Napa rated GL-5 Reading from jug....

For hypoid and other gears, excellent for high speed, high torque and high horsepower. can be used in manual trans and both regular and limited slip diffs.

I have some 80W90 from Napa rated GL-5 Reading from jug....

For hypoid and other gears, excellent for high speed, high torque and high horsepower. can be used in manual trans and both regular and limited slip diffs.

I was able to get GL4 at NAPA in the US, couldn't find any in Canada.

Thanks for the info but I was looking for GL1 rated gear oil, I put too much effort into this gear box to deviate from the instructions. I would have thought oil is oil but what I am reading.....no there are differences.

You may have to go to a farm implement dealer such as John Deere to find a
GL-1 gear oil. Its an "old" rating that is not used as much in automotive transmissions or rear ends.

API GL-1 Oils are for light conditions. They consist of base oils without additives. Sometimes they contain small amounts of antioxidizing additives, corrosion inhibitors, depressants and antifoam additives. API GL-1 oils contain no EP addives, are designed for spiral-bevel, worm gears and manual transmissions with synchronizers, in trucks and farming machines.

Most modern gearboxes require a GL-4 oil, and separate differentials (where fitted) require a GL-5 oil. It is important to check the oil against the vehicle manufacturer's specification to ensure it does not contain any aggressive chemicals that may attack yellow metal gear components, such as phosphor bronze.

Last edited: